Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

excellent comparison. thank you for those videos.
The Rocket will get your heart pumping right out of the gate, no question about it. Don't know if you noticed how much the rider slows down in the turns though. not a canyon carver. He really only pushes it on the straights. I see this more as a 'bike night' bike, for buzzing around town for the adrenaline rush or commuting to work. It is more "raw" in a good way and makes you feel more engaged with the road. And there's the cache of having TRIUMPH on the tank. A bike with a heritage few other labels can match. If you have a "young" girlfriend (25 or younger), she might put up with being carted around and hanging on for dear life. Staying on with all that torque won't be an easy task w/o a sissy bar but that mars the appearance of this muscle machine.

The GW is incredibly smooth and it has all the power you could need but it doesn't have the adrenaline inducing torque and sound. It sounds meaner higher in the rev range. The bike will scream above 4,000 rpm which was a pleasant surprise for me. Remus makes a great pipe for it if you are willing to sell your first born child to buy it. It won't let you down, even in the twisties, but you may not be willing to sell a kidney to own one. And no one will come over and drool over it at bike night. It may not even get a glance. shame though. it really is a very fine machine. One plus is your bride won't be whining in your ear if you ride two up. She better not. there's nothing to whine about here.

Last edited:
Exactly. If you love to tour and are out for weeks at a time the Triumph may not be the right choice for all the comforts of touring in my opinion only. The Triumph can certainly handle weeks out but we are talking about comfort at the highest level with all of the bells and whistles. Most everyone on this forum is different and some would never consider the Rocket long distance and some wouldn't go long distance without their Rocket. You can debate motorcycles forever and what is best for certain riding but the only person you need to listen to is yourself. If you wanted to tour on a Vespa why would anyone say you're wrong (They would have a valid argument though) It's a fun decision to make picking the best motorcycle for yourself. . Good luck and cheers. 🏍️

I happened to have both. 2014 Valkyrie and 2020 Rocket3 GT. Based on your initial criteria, I would suggest the Goldwing. The Goldwing engine/system is really bullet proof, ultra reliable and is smooth as glass. The ride/feel between the Goldwing/Valkyrie and Rocket is night and day. But, I'm selling my Valkyrie and I bought the Rocket. Simply because of the "fun" factor. (which was not in your criteria). I LOVE riding the Rocket. I do cross over riding. Love to strip everything down and take it into the twisty's. But am also looking forward discovering near-by states(multi-day rides) while on the Rocket. So I purchased a big ass windscreen, 25L Paniers, a seat cushion and will be buying a tank bag. So net-net, it can do both, but it really is 2 totally different bikes and totally different feel. It cruises so effortlessly, but its behavior puts a smile on your face when you really jump on it!! I would strongly suggest doing a 50m ride (if possible) with both of them to get a sense for your comfort. Also pay attention to the people that complain about the issues. (kind-of like the Rocket's personality) Goldwing doesn't have those. Personally I chose fun..

This is a great discussion. I wrote my opinion about 6 pages ago… Reading all the posts have been interesting to contemplate. My choices on riding are developed on my personal history. I am spoiled in having two different TR3T’s. The one I’ve dressed up for comfort and vacations riding. The newer one is almost a. Stock R3T. My choices are my own. I personally not impressed with the new generation of Rockets. But facts don’t lie. Big, dressed cycles don’t sell well. Old men buy them. The new Rockets are for the main stream population.

Another consideration for me is how easy is maintenance, even though you may not do it yourself like me.
Also cleaning the bike.
I think r3gt wins on both points.

If I take a week long trip I have to take the touring Indian Roadmaster. It has comfort and carrying capacity. If out for a day and want the most fun I’ll take one of the Rockets. The new Indian Challenger is really a good blend of both does not win either first place for touring or sport fun. You have to come off the fence sometime and just buy one and live with it.

If I take a week long trip I have to take the touring Indian Roadmaster. It has comfort and carrying capacity. If out for a day and want the most fun I’ll take one of the Rockets. The new Indian Challenger is really a good blend of both does not win either first place for touring or sport fun. You have to come off the fence sometime and just buy one and live with it.
Well, after the Rox Bar Risers, MadStad/Compozit Windshield system, Aftermarket projector headlights, reposition to mid controls , highway pegs, gel seat and custom luggage system.......it's getting there.....")

Well, after the Rox Bar Risers, MadStad/Compozit Windshield system, Aftermarket projector headlights, reposition to mid controls , highway pegs, gel seat and custom luggage system.......it's getting there.....")
One thing is for sure, nothing matches the motor of these things.

Back