Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

Normally I would give a hell no
images.jpg
but there are exceptions.
well...ill help you out....i can force myself....im like that..!

From what you stated, I'm thinking the r3gt is a better fit. Had you said I will do 75% time touring, it would be the GW.
Your comments after sitting on one at dealer was spot on! Riding it over time will increase enjoyment.
One cannot overstate the difference in handling a 900lb bike vs 650lbs, in both moving backwards, out of parking lots, slow turns, and twisties.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.
All valid points but the OP's FIRST requirement is COMFORT
He specifically stated "I want comfort, luggage space, good headlights, easy maintenance, good brakes, shaft drive, nice gearbox, reliability"

..back to the topic...i think youll find if you are waiting for Triumph to make a Tourer you will be waiting a very long time....Triumph dont do Tourer's anymore....this from a reliable source. Take a hard look at their recent releases and you will see a trend. There will be those on this forum who can cast their minds back when we were all debating whether or not there was going to be a new 'Rocket'....and if so what would they be?...answer is now obvious...a Roadster and a Cruiser...no Tourer. Personally i think the Tourer market is flooded...Harley, BMW, Honda to name a few so why join that scramble? Triumph want sales and so they are creating bikes designed to draw in the younger riders...exciting bikes....Hell, i may be wrong but i draw my opinion from watching the releases from Triumph and i gotta say with anticipation every time one is announced.......other brands...not so much. Some Triumph riders including me, have been wondering whether there will be another Thunderbird but no news on the horizon for this either...they were a very popular bike...twin and all...nice sound...comfortable ride...but no...not yet anyway.
So if its a tourer you want then you may have to look elsewhere like some have already suggested...just my opinion.

All valid points but the OP's FIRST requirement is COMFORT
He specifically stated "I want comfort, luggage space, good headlights, easy maintenance, good brakes, shaft drive, nice gearbox, reliability"
I am really comfortable on mine with extended shield. Best stock seat I have had, and with risers perfect, hwy riding excellent. Added bags fine for short trips and he DID NOT say mostly riding for multiple day trips. When he sat on one at dealer expressed COMFORT.All other boxes checked IMO.

talking about the comfort... mustang seats not longer doing seats for the rocket... those were kind like touring seats....and I liked those ones better than the Corbin, super comfy... so Corbin will be my next option in the rocket...

..back to the topic...i think youll find if you are waiting for Triumph to make a Tourer you will be waiting a very long time....Triumph dont do Tourer's anymore....this from a reliable source. Take a hard look at their recent releases and you will see a trend. There will be those on this forum who can cast their minds back when we were all debating whether or not there was going to be a new 'Rocket'....and if so what would they be?...answer is now obvious...a Roadster and a Cruiser...no Tourer. Personally i think the Tourer market is flooded...Harley, BMW, Honda to name a few so why join that scramble? Triumph want sales and so they are creating bikes designed to draw in the younger riders...exciting bikes....Hell, i may be wrong but i draw my opinion from watching the releases from Triumph and i gotta say with anticipation every time one is announced.......other brands...not so much. Some Triumph riders including me, have been wondering whether there will be another Thunderbird but no news on the horizon for this either...they were a very popular bike...twin and all...nice sound...comfortable ride...but no...not yet anyway.
So if its a tourer you want then you may have to look elsewhere like some have already suggested...just my opinion.
I'm certainly not waiting for another Thunderbird, The carpel tunnel I got from my old one was why I went to the R3 in the first place. I also dont miss having to go around and tighten all the Allen screws after a ride. About the only thing I miss on it is the sweet exhaust sound.

as I suggested earlier, there is no "one size fits all" motorcycle. the challenge for each of us is to identify what we intend to use the bike for and then purchase accordingly.
As a young man, I used to buy cheap tools and then get frustrated with the result. Many skinned knuckles and disappointing outcomes. Happiness comes from selecting the right tool for the job. The Rocket is great at what it does and won't disappoint. But asking more of it than it was intended to deliver is unrealistic. there is no "swiss army knife" of motorcycles.

if we are being honest though, as I read through all of the threads I find that many are spending significant additional sums of money to change the Rocket, be it seats, fairings, windscreens etc beyond what Triumph intended it to be. when done, the bike no longer looks the same and other than some cool exhaust options, the other changes I've seen posted here tend to detract from the bike's original appearance IMHO

Back