Rear rim leaks air, I can't be the only one

RhinoOK

Rocket 3R in my garge
Ride
2020 Triumph Rocket 3R
My rear tire has a slow leak and it is coming from the rim.
rimLeak.jpg

I popped the bead and found the problem:

roughRim.jpg

There appears to be rough no-slip type product applied to the inside of the rim. I assume this is to keep the rear tire from slipping on the rim (163 ft/lbs is a LOT of torque). I applied a small amount of slime with the tip of my finger and it now leaks less but still leaks. I cannot be the only one to have this problem.

Looks like someone put that goo-pucky in there for a leak seal. The rim should be clean. The tire bead seals without the need for sealant assuming the rim is straight. If your rim is like my old 05 Standard's then that stuff needs to come out of there and the rim cleaned. There isn't a drop in the wheel so getting the tire off is a MAJOR hassle. If you can clean that stuff off with the tire on you're way ahead. Check the the tire bead and make sure there isn't anything cut or scarred on the seating surface. The torque isn't enough to spin the tire on the rim under load with the friction of the bead on a properly inflated tire. I popped many a wheelie with my lard butt in the seat and never had an issue.

Looks like someone put that goo-pucky in there for a leak seal. The rim should be clean. The tire bead seals without the need for sealant assuming the rim is straight. If your rim is like my old 05 Standard's then that stuff needs to come out of there and the rim cleaned. There isn't a drop in the wheel so getting the tire off is a MAJOR hassle. If you can clean that stuff off with the tire on you're way ahead. Check the the tire bead and make sure there isn't anything cut or scarred on the seating surface. The torque isn't enough to spin the tire on the rim under load with the friction of the bead on a properly inflated tire. I popped many a wheelie with my lard butt in the seat and never had an issue.
I bought this bike new from a dealer last November. It came from the factory this way. And it is quire hard, not goopy. Feels like the no-skid stuff you find on a small, low wing aircraft.

Have changed two tyres on my rocket had no issue with leaking beads ,You need to clean the rim so it is clear of gunk that should solve your problem the rim needs to be clean otherwise the tyre does not seat correctly

I bought this bike new from a dealer last November. It came from the factory this way. And it is quire hard, not goopy. Feels like the no-skid stuff you find on a small, low wing aircraft.
If you bought that new from a dealer, then they should fix your air leak issue under warranty. That 'material' on the rim was either put there by a technician or it's a delamination of the bead seal (tire warranty). In either case the seal is meant to go against a smooth surface and the stuff you have on the rim isn't smooth. Adding more goo-pucky won't cure this problem. Take your photos into your dealer and have his technician explain the "purpose" of the stuff on your rim.

Back