Rear rim leaks air, I can't be the only one

Have changed two tyres on my rocket had no issue with leaking beads ,You need to clean the rim so it is clear of gunk that should solve your problem the rim needs to be clean otherwise the tyre does not seat correctly
Did you change the tire yourself or at least look at the rim when it was being changed?

The photos look as if the tyre has not been changed at the dealers place.

So I directly expect bis answer: "no, this has never been done at the Factory!"...
This tire has never been changed. I bought this bike brand new last November.

If you bought that new from a dealer, then they should fix your air leak issue under warranty. That 'material' on the rim was either put there by a technician or it's a delamination of the bead seal (tire warranty). In either case the seal is meant to go against a smooth surface and the stuff you have on the rim isn't smooth. Adding more goo-pucky won't cure this problem. Take your photos into your dealer and have his technician explain the "purpose" of the stuff on your rim.
It's not gooy at all. Very hard, looks like it was deliberately applied to the rim. I was assuming it was there to help keep the tire from slipping on the rim due to massive torque of this bike. The real question is has anyone else on this forum had a chance to actually look at their rear rim?

It's not gooy at all. Very hard, looks like it was deliberately applied to the rim. I was assuming it was there to help keep the tire from slipping on the rim due to massive torque of this bike. The real question is has anyone else on this forum had a chance to actually look at their rear rim?
The tire fits the rim so tightly that the tire would not spin in the rim. The product in that rim should never be there

Did you change the tire yourself or at least look at the rim when it was being changed?
Yes change all my own tyres , have been in the tyre industry for many years so the gear to do it is always handy, You do not need anything on the rim to hold the tyre in place air pressure does that it just needs to be clean or it will not seal correctly

Yes change all my own tyres , have been in the tyre industry for many years so the gear to do it is always handy, You do not need anything on the rim to hold the tyre in place air pressure does that it just needs to be clean or it will not seal correctly
Thank you! I also have a tire changer and do all my own motorcycle tires as well as some of my 4 wheeled vehicles. So now the mystery. My bike was bought new from the dealer. I am the first owner and have put about 1600 miles on it and the tires have never been changed. Why is my rim different from yours?

I do know that some high performance vehicles do have a lot more than air pressure to keep the tire from spinning on the rims. My friend's 8 second drag car has the giant Hoosier tires bolted to the rim. And obviously there are a number of bead lock systems.

My rear tire has a slow leak and it is coming from the rim.
rimLeak.jpg

I popped the bead and found the problem:

roughRim.jpg

There appears to be rough no-slip type product applied to the inside of the rim. I assume this is to keep the rear tire from slipping on the rim (163 ft/lbs is a LOT of torque). I applied a small amount of slime with the tip of my finger and it now leaks less but still leaks. I cannot be the only one to have this problem.
Hard to see but could that be in the casting itself? Never seen anything like that put on a rim before.

Hard to see but could that be in the casting itself? Never seen anything like that put on a rim before.
It's possible. It does seem that hard but if you look close you can see random bits on the smooth surface. This makes me think it was something applied to the rim and perhaps some of those lower random bit is causing the slow leak. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but for now the leaks appear to have stopped.

My rear tire has a slow leak and it is coming from the rim.
rimLeak.jpg

I popped the bead and found the problem:

roughRim.jpg

There appears to be rough no-slip type product applied to the inside of the rim. I assume this is to keep the rear tire from slipping on the rim (163 ft/lbs is a LOT of torque). I applied a small amount of slime with the tip of my finger and it now leaks less but still leaks. I cannot be the only one to have this problem.
I think you might have a flash line from the casting of the wheel. And it should have been removed at the factory but it was Friday or after lunch and that step in the process got skipped.

Back