ramair cracked

I wonder how many potential customers they have that are wanting to buy but because of there direction with a solution they are thumbing there nose at the idea. Murphy is alive and well at my house. Al

I suppose if one thinks about it - if you put a smooth tube that isn't soft rubber over a metal carb that has a ridge on it, the ridge will then dig into the filter when you cinch down the cable clamp. If you don't get the pressure exactly right the cable clamp will push hard enough that the ridge on the carb will just grind through the plastic and cause breakage. These would probably be fine with just the appropriate groove in the filter to that ridge.

This has been an eye opening thread, not only from the end user perspective but also the manufacturer perspective. Maybe it is a good thing I have a complete set of K&Ns waiting in the wings.

bob

I suppose if one thinks about it - if you put a smooth tube that isn't soft rubber over a metal carb that has a ridge on it, the ridge will then dig into the filter when you cinch down the cable clamp. If you don't get the pressure exactly right the cable clamp will push hard enough that the ridge on the carb will just grind through the plastic and cause breakage. These would probably be fine with just the appropriate groove in the filter to that ridge.

Good grief. This requires no thinking about; it's plainly obvious to anyone. The only thinking Ramair did was how to cut corners.

I HAVE not had any experience with ramir but as a mechanic i think croft is right. the ones that have the molded groves will work because with the grove it allows the clamp too apply same pressure evenly across the area of the clamp where as the ramir the clamping force is on the metal raised portion of the metal.
there is not a way that you can clamp this with out problems and might work better with just a simple plastic tie installed below the raised portion.
just my 2 cents. hth

Good grief. This requires no thinking about; it's plainly obvious to anyone. The only thinking Ramair did was how to cut corners.

Just "musing out loud". On a softer rubber material the ridge would be less consequential, but if the Ramair plastic is insufficiently pliable the groove becomes necessary rather than just good to have in order to equalize the pressure on the plastic.

Also, another way this could fail is if people don't seat them sufficiently well and the cable clamp is not clamping against metal fully but against the lip of the carburator, then people tighten until such a point that the clamp just shears through the filter.

Last edited:
My 2cts worth. It appears that Ramair has not abandoned their customers by both replacing defective unit even though with same units, and by answering emails. I have a Ramair system on my bike but in fairness was recently installed. I give credit to Ramair keeping communication open. I only hope that they decide not to cease manufacturing products for our favorite bike. Lord knows the number of companies that make products for us is few enough.

So basically fit under the claw, looks great, is a nice greased foam which should do well with keeping water out and give documented performance increases. Also have the one drawback of possibly popping off or breaking on install, potentially partly because of user error as at least some use them and have no issues.

I think I'll roll the dice and proceed with adding one and see what happens, I want the temp sensor in play and this seems to be the only game in town except underseat filters for that.
Hey mate
Did you go ahead and fit the ramair filters?

Did you go ahead and fit the ramair filters?

I'm still dithering over it, to be honest. I'm lazy, don't want to do a lot of work ripping out the stock plumbing and then have to redo it if the filter breaks... Been busy with arranging a good lifting solution for the bike and putting on the new JW Speaker LED etc to go on it, in addition to revamping my garage so I can more easily work there (work bench, tool carts, that sort of thing, it's all been pretty half-assed, time to get it on track). So... short answer: no. :)

Back