Ramair and crankcase breather

cr0ft

Living Legend
Ride
Triumph Rocket III Touring 2010
Why does the crankcase breather tube have to be replaced with the extra little filter anyway? I'm just wondering if it's at all necessary, not enthusiastic about adding the tiny filter and having it potentially break or something down the line.

The breather tube has a flange on it, and the material Ramair uses doesn't seem to like those one bit. Plus, filter or no filter, you're basically opening a hole into the engine at footpedal height that's bound to be more vulnerable to water splashing than the original setup.

The breather vents into the box above there anyway... couldn't one just leave it there and have it work just fine as is?

You could, and any little thing that drops into the old air filter box can then make its way into your engine. With over 100,000 miles on the little filter, I have not had any problems with it.

Same as idk though I'm a far cry from 100k miles ;) I did clean and reinstall when I had the engine out, but it's pretty maintenance free.

Oh yeah right, stuff coming into the air box might go in there. I sealed it all up pretty well though but do plan to keep a tire plugging kit and some odds and ends in there, so probably not a huge risk... but yeah definitely a consideration.

I did see at least one report here of the filter shredding a la the original Ramair, which is what made me leery. The new Ramair has actual indentations for the flanges on the intakes now, not so much this one.

Oh well, at least now I see the point of it, to make sure nothing does wind up in there. Thanks.

Plus there are the fumes from the crank case. You no longer have positive ventilation so they'll sit in the old air box and you'll finish up with oily sludge in there. Not a lot but not wanted.

Hmm, and running a hose up behind the engine and up under the tank and putting the baby filter where the ducting to the air box used to go is also unwise, then? I mean, if the breather tube will be blowing out oily air - might end up with a mess underneath there with that?

Maybe I'll just plonk the filter on there as Ramair suggests after all, at least initially...

Sorry fellas but I've read this thread over about 4 times and I'm kinda confused.....crank case filter supplied by Ramair or just use the original tube? If I remember correctly in the Ramair instructions, replacing the crankcase filter was an option.

Is there issues with using the filter supplied by Ramair?
Thanks

Sorry fellas but I've read this thread over about 4 times and I'm kinda confused.....crank case filter supplied by Ramair or just use the original tube? If I remember correctly in the Ramair instructions, replacing the crankcase filter was an option.
Is there issues with using the filter supplied by Ramair?
Thanks

When you relocate you air filter system, an open hole is left in the bottom of the stock filter box.
This connects to the crankcase breather and must NOT be left open and it should be filtered so that crap doesn't work its way into your crankcase.
The little filter is a female dog to instal between the stock air box and engine!
I simply stuffed the hole with filter foam, which I occasionally remove and clean.
I use the box now to carry tools.
HTH
PS: Fu*k the censor!

Last edited:
When you take out the back part of the plenum where it connects to the air box, you leave a 4" hole that exposes the air box and breather tube to whatever crap is in the air under the tank. Whether you leave the tube in place or remove it at the crank case, you need to block it so stuff doesn't get into the crank case while allowing the pressure in the crank case to equalize. A piece of tissue paper or foam would work fine. You're not really filtering the air but a filter also works.

Back