Ramair and crankcase breather

I'm with @warp9.9 ...two rockets...neither one have the 4" hole plugged. I use it to route wiring to the front of the bike from stuff mounted in the airbox. K&N crancase filter installed on both. Probably 20,000 miles between them and no issues. WRT crancase fumes...we used to do the same thing on old hotrods...install a small K&N filter on the valve cover of a 350 chevy to replace the PCV crap that comes on them for the factory. Every oil change (~ 3,000 miles) you would have to wipe the oily residue off your valve covers so while not a tremendous amount, plenty enough will come out of the crankcase that you don't want it all over whatever you have stored in the airbox

When I did my K&N installation I didn't bother to fiddle around with the awkward little filter. After a long trip during which I stored my rainsuit in the old air filter space it smelled like an old oily rag and took weeks of airing out after washing it to get rid of the stink. Yes you need to vent the crankcase away from it's original spot.

I had a good sized filter put onto a length of hose which went down to the motor. Having a small filter fitted straight on the stub on the motor was oozing oily residue out. The extra length eliminated this.

My breather filter clogged up fast and kept popping off so i gave it the flick. What i did was run a piece of 12mm fuel line off the outlet , up behind the motor and under the tank , at about the 1/2 way under the tank i reduced it down to 8mm fuel line and run that into the back of the ramair , worked awesome no smelly fumes.

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I want to install my recently purchased RamAir with the crancase vent filter as high up as possible to prevent oily residue from fouling the bike.

I then came across what Wrecka did. This seems like the better option! I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the RamAir intake similar to the one for the sensor, installing a fitting, then running a hose from the crankcase vent (back of the engine) to the RamAir intake. This should positively vent the crankcase, which should prevent over pressurization if you have excessive blowby and eliminate the need for a crankcase filter.

Wrecka, did you take any pics of your install? Did the intake hold up to the weight of the hose hanging off? Any issues? Is it still going after 2 years?

Sorry to reopen an old thread but I want to install my recently purchased RamAir with the crancase vent filter as high up as possible to prevent oily residue from fouling the bike.

I then came across what Wrecka did. This seems like the better option! I'm considering drilling a hole in the bottom of the RamAir intake similar to the one for the sensor, installing a fitting, then running a hose from the crankcase vent (back of the engine) to the RamAir intake. This should positively vent the crankcase, which should prevent over pressurization if you have excessive blowby and eliminate the need for a crankcase filter.

Wrecka, did you take any pics of your install? Did the intake hold up to the weight of the hose hanging off? Any issues? Is it still going after 2 years?

You need to add a @ as per @Wrecka so he will get a notification and answer. This post will now get his attention.

The way you described how you'd plumb it into your Ramair will work , i have no pics of my old setup , currently i have a Ramair , although i have a pipe running off the engine breather with a K&N small blowoff valve type filter on the other end, this sit under the tank at the back of the motor

Thanks Wrecka.

I ended up installing an 8 inch length of heater hose to the engine breather, then placing the filter on the end of that, up high behind the engine under the tank in the void left after removing the ducting to the air box. We'll try that for now.

Great idea using the tire tube.
I used a sandwich baggie.
Like yours better!
I used a black latex glove on mine - it looks mad when you lift the tank buts fits over the stubby pipe coming out of the front of the air box nicely.

Back