Water and oil temp sensors?

That makes perfect sense and is quite obvious when you think about it - the head and the oil will be totally different temps. So is there a blanking plug somewhere in the tank? I have had a good look around but can't see anything (with these glasses anyway ;) )

My new water temp sensor works perfectly, showing a steady 88 degrees C on the motorway and rising to 95 degrees C in traffic.
If you really want to mount oil temp. gauge, usually there is an adapter that comes with the gauge. You could remove the oil tank, drill a hole, install the adapter and weld it to the tank. Then you can clean the inside of the tank, reinstall and refill with oil.

Thanks for all the ideas - much appreciated. As I have deleted all of the analogue gauges I think I will persevere and modify a cap to take the sensor (supplied with the gauge)

This one, made of the finest Chinesium should do the trick

CNC Motorcycle Gas Tank Oil Cap Fit Harley Sportster Road King Dyna Softail | eBay

Drill and tap, put the sensor on the end of a tube which will double up as a dip stick etc etc.

Thanks for all the ideas - much appreciated. As I have deleted all of the analogue gauges I think I will persevere and modify a cap to take the sensor (supplied with the gauge)

This one, made of the finest Chinesium should do the trick

CNC Motorcycle Gas Tank Oil Cap Fit Harley Sportster Road King Dyna Softail | eBay

Drill and tap, put the sensor on the end of a tube which will double up as a dip stick etc etc.
when i looked at the cap looks like it has threads and ours just push in.

It looks like they still have an analog but NOT the digital in stock at New Bonneville or at least they let you 'cart it'
1662078555615.png

l Temperature Gauge for the New Triumph Rocket III
Simply replace the oil filler cap with one of these gauges and you have instant access to the operating temperature of your engine’s oil. Available in either Analog or Digital, both are chrome plated. The digital gauge is backlit in blue, toggles between Fahrenheit or Centigrade and has an overheat warning.
ANALOG
$55.69
buynow
DIGITAL
DISCONTINUED
nb_line.gif
© 2009 - newbonneville.com, L.L.C.​

I decided to modify the original cap - it just seemed to make more sense.
So I popped off the stainless steel cover and drilled a hole to take a rubber grommet
20220903_095116[1].jpg

20220903_123432.jpg

Then welded a stainless washer to some 10mm tube and measured the dipstick marks to duplicate them on my new dipstick (see my very technical drawing ;))

20220903_125017.jpg

Then it was just a case of passing the sensor leads through the tube and tapping it into the end (it was an interference fit) with some silicon sealer just to make things all oil tight. Reassemble the sensor plug and pop it back in the oil tank

20220903_133449.jpg

Voila! - oil temperature on my new dash! (cold engine at the moment)

20220903_131216.jpg

Back