Ramair and crankcase breather

Thank you 1olbull.....fully understood now. I ran out and traced where the original breather hose ran... I see.
The hose runs strieght into the air filter housing and as everyone said, once you remove the tubing it leaves the hole open to whatever comes into the filter box. Got it.

So you left the original hose attached to the crankcase breather and you put filter foam into the hole where the tube connects to the original filter box. Good idea I will do the same.

I'm glad I checked the Ramair crankcase filter as it was starting to crack where the clamp was located.....must be the same rubber as the original air filters....lol. I took it off and reinstalled the original hose.

Thanks fellas!

Thank you 1olbull.....fully understood now. I ran out and traced where the original breather hose ran... I see.
The hose runs strieght into the air filter housing and as everyone said, once you remove the tubing it leaves the hole open to whatever comes into the filter box. Got it.
So you left the original hose attached to the crankcase breather and you put filter foam into the hole where the tube connects to the original filter box. Good idea I will do the same.
I'm glad I checked the Ramair crankcase filter as it was starting to crack where the clamp was located.....must be the same rubber as the original air filters....lol. I took it off and reinstalled the original hose.
Thanks fellas!

@dougl is correct and I did neglect to mention that I also sealed that large hole in the front of the air box that opens into the engine area under the fuel tank.
I'm concerned that you may be confused. The large (about 4 " oval hole is in the front of the air box. The crankcase breather is a small hole in the bottom of the filter box.

You really are a nobb arnt you ? Go ahead just admit it..............

Hey, I'm an IT guy, not a mechanical genius, and never have claimed to be. I take my bike to the shop when it needs major work, or even just work I can't be arsed to do. I do freely admit I'm not sure how much and what comes out of the crankcase breather. If it's just vapor, or if it actually spits out greasy gunk that will seep out of the filter.

Meanwhile, if you need a virtualized data center built using VMware vSphere and a solid SAN, I'm your man.

Anyway, I sealed the hole in the air box where the original ducting came in from the top of the engine; was a pain in the ass to get in there to close it but it's doable. Having an open hole there would make the air box useless for storage, since that hole is bound to suck in water like mad if left open if you ride in pouring rain. So I could probably just leave the breather tube in place.

I've seen at least one member post a picture of the small Ramair filter cracking just as the first generation actual air filters did so I'm leery about that.

The air in the crank case expands and contracts when the engine heats and cools. When it heats, vapors come out. With the stock manifold, the vapors go into the air box, through the the filter and into the throttle bodies. Oil is not spewed, at least not up the breather tube. It's probably a better idea to put porous media at the top of the tube than the bottom. I think I'll switch mine.

@dougl is correct and I did neglect to mention that I also sealed that large hole in the front of the air box that opens into the engine area under the fuel tank.
I'm concerned that you may be confused. The large (about 4 " oval hole is in the front of the air box. The crankcase breather is a small hole in the bottom of the filter box.
Nope... Fully understood you the first time. I covered the large hole on the front of the air box with a rubber cover( cut out an oval out of a tire tube and used a hose clamp to keep it in place) I then placed a foam filter over the top of the crankcase breather hole.

Nope... Fully understood you the first time. I covered the large hole on the front of the air box with a rubber cover( cut out an oval out of a tire tube and used a hose clamp to keep it in place) I then placed a foam filter over the top of the crankcase breather hole.

Great idea using the tire tube.
I used a sandwich baggie.
Like yours better!

I was going to do exactly that, an inner tube sliced into an oval and then the hose clamp on top, but I didn't have any laying around - I did have some extra sturdy Gorilla tape and used that to construct a "sandwich" of tape over the hole. The stuff is water proof even in a single layer and it's not like it's going under water... Then, I anchored it down further (in addition to the glue) by putting the hose clamp over that.

May revisit it with tire tube rubber later on, even though I'm confident this will hold just fine.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/duct-tape-boat/

I think I'll try the hose under the saddle with the filter up there. If I can fit it, there's not exactly a lot of space down there. If it doesn't work, I'll put the filter in directly. Should the filter shred over time, there are plenty of options: http://www.knfilters.com/vent.htm

Last edited:
Hmmm I tore the rubber boot out of mine years ago stuffed my Vampire unit and my 600 CCA battery with some tools in the air box and run the wires and vac line up thru the whole where the rubber elbow used to be. Never has it taken on water and I have road in some 250 mile down pours !!!
personally I turned the hose coming from the back of the engine into a 90 and bought a cone filter from the local hardware store so it is easier to get at and clean.

but the best I seen was someone added a one way vacuum valve at the back of the engine and then pipe the crankcase gasses to the back side of his merge collector on his exhaust to burn the excess gasses.
Our very own Rocket Scientist Fred ran his up and into one of the triple filters to be recycled thru the engine. He has not experienced any problem with his method either.

it seems to me if you adapted a small fuel filter using fuel hose and keep it as high as you can with open end down i don't think you would have a problem. if you put that hose low on the bike when you get in deep water it will suck water into the eng. i know that this is an old thread but i am an old man still sucking air and blowing it out the vent:laugh:

Back