I really don’t know Phil I really just care about performance and bobs tune works great on my bike
I really don’t know Phil I really just care about performance and bobs tune works great on my bike

I have a 2011 tour model and it's bone stock. I know nothing other than that I would like to try derestrictng it. Does this include new pipes CAT delete and crossover as well as a remap?

It's really up to your wallet and desires. From a technical standpoint, given the same exhaust and intake between the bikes, you'd be trading torque for horse power -- moving from the Touring in the direction of the Roadster. While one can pay a pretty penny for a cleaner exhaust (and grades of those), it's generally thought that intake and exhaust, followed with a proper dynamometer-based fuel map for your specific bike, is the most cost effective power gain.

Beyond that, the sky is the limit, as the great ingenuity on display in these pages bears witness.

I have a 2011 tour model and it's bone stock. I know nothing other than that I would like to try derestrictng it. Does this include new pipes CAT delete and crossover as well as a remap?
Do not say money is no object, trust me. (Lol) Go back to beginning of this thread and power-Tripp has a great write up with different parts explained gains and no gains. But others will chime in pointing you in right direction

I think I asked this before but I don't think I received an answer. Can someone tell me where the tune that was supposed to be attached to the post that started this thread is? If I remember correctly, there was only one tune for the R3T on the TuneECU website. Is that the one referred to in the original post in this thread (below)?

Thanks!

Ladies and gents,
I have had more than a few calls about Touring model performance. This should help out more than a few of you.

The Touring models are the same except for the exhaust and ECU calibration. BOTH are very restricted.The ECU controls the secondary throttles and actually closes them at higher rpm and higher gears. In the exhaust, the header is the same, but the box after the header is very restrictive. Slip-ons (TORS and D&D) really don't do much except for sound.

Neither do air filters under the seat. Triple K&N RU-2780 filters make a bit more from 4000-5500 rpm, but have the same peak power output as the stock air filter. The stock intake plenum and ducting actually makes more torque under 3000 rpm than triple RU-2780 filters under the bearclaw. It is not until you go to a full exhaust system that the RU-2780 filters make a difference.

A stock R3T or one with a slip-on exhaust tends to make ~86 hp on my dyno (~ 13% lower than a Dynojet), and 130-131 ft-lb of torque. Simply re-calibrating the ECU (mapping) tends to result in 115-117 hp, and 140-142 ft-lb of torque. A very nice improvement.

Attached is a "tune" for stock and slip-on exhaust R3T models, as well as a graph of output differences. Dashed lines are torque. Red is an R3T with TORS and stock air filter. Yellow is after tuning. This resulted in 43+ mpg cruising at 70 mph on 87 octane fuel. Speedo corrected for stock tire. Speed limiter raised. Ignition timing improved in lower gears. ENJOY!

You can also find this map on Tom Hamburg's TuneECU.com site under the custom Triumph tunes section.

R3T TORS graph.jpg

Do not say money is no object, trust me. (Lol) Go back to beginning of this thread and power-Tripp has a great write up with different parts explained gains and no gains. But others will chime in pointing you in right direction

I have acquired a cable but my laptop is a windows 7 version so do I need a new laptop? I would like to do this tune just to see the result before I strip out the exhaust. I just want make intelligent buying decisions on parts. On my Roadstar, I managed to get the rejet done properly and new pipes installed. I ought to be able to manage these Rocket mods with everyones help.

Software and drivers - TuneECU - Links

cables - USB Cable for Triumph Motorcycle TuneECU Program : Amazon.com : Automotive

Kmutt, and everyone else, I am just glad to help fellow Rocket riders. AND I am tired of hearing how the Touring models will barely outrun Harleys. This should change the game for many of you and may be all you need for performance for a while.

Give me a little time to finish up the testing on the new exhaust and intake and we will really change the bolt-on performance results. ;)

Thanks, would like to hear more. I know that all internal combustion engines require a certain amount of backpressure in order to make torque. Obviously, changing that backpressure requires adjustments elsewhere. What course would you take? Mine is a bone stock 2011 R3T.

I’m not sure about the windows 7 thing, I use a disk, somebody does though they will see this shortly,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 12
Back