r3 newbie with helmet "wind slapping"

hey guys,

i'm relatively new to the r3. before the r3, i never road with a fairing or a shield. all my riding was just around town, no long trips so i didn't need one. but with the r3, i'm taking longer rides.... but after riding her for a +300mile ride my shoulders were killing me from the constant force of the wind at 60-80mph, so i decided i needed a fairing or a shield. the shield was cheap, but it gave a lot of turbulence so my eyeballs were rattling around in my head (more so than usual). tried lowering and raising it, all the same, no difference. so i popped for a Corbin fairing (price tag yikes!). tried both the taller and shorter glass above the fairing, and i opted for the taller one, my eyeballs weren't rattling around in my head as much.

BUT the "wind slapping" against my helmet is noisy at speeds above 50mph (and gets worse as i go faster) and makes it impossible to have any sort of a bluetooth sound system in the helmet.

my question is...

is there a certain type/style of helmet that is more aerodynamic so to reduce the "wind slapping"?

i currently ride with a Biltwell Gringo helmet. it fits well, i like it but it has no bluetooth sound system and with all the "wind slapping" there's no reason to put one in it. i would like to have a helmet that i can put a Sena bluetooth sound system in so i can listen to tunes as i ride.

what say ye?

thanks!

Todd
A . riding a motorcycle is known for being noisy apparently
B . buy a decent lid
C .if you want to listen music or make a phone call stay at home..........concentrate on riding your bike ffs

i removed my triumph screen and panniers on the first day i bought the bike.
my head felt like it was in a tumble dryer due to the wind buffeting:)

I made these for mine out of lexan. They helped reduce buffeting alot.

R3 lowers.jpg

I ordered my new windshield without the fog light cut out, hoping that helps even more.

Todd - almost any modern helmet is quieter than Biltwell Gringo.. To eliminate buffeting you need lower deflectors (see Rocket Scientist post above). It is the wind going under the windshield that causes the noise (and seriously shakes your head above 160km/100mph).

Most helmets are tuned for use without fairings and windshields (logical approach). I personally prefer no windscreens on R3 just to have as quiet as it gets inside my helmet. As naked bike, R3 provides pretty good protection for its class.

You can use memphis shades lower deflectors for VTX1800 on the Rocket.

Having read through this thread with a lot of useful information regarding the dynamics of wind etc, but I can only wonder that a simple solution to stop the wind slapping your helmet would be to button your flies!:roll::roll::roll:

Back