r3 newbie with helmet "wind slapping"

I have conducted quite a bit of research into wind buffeting on bikes. Got deep into it with my softail (2 different Harley windshields, 2 Clearview recurves) and with the Rocket.
In my experience buffeting has very little (if anything) to do with helmet choice.
The windshield height, width, and location on bike as well as rider position to said windshield are the greatest influencers on buffeting.
I believe this because after much trial and error, I found a relative “cone of silence” using the same helmet across many options.
Experiment with different windshield positions or sizes and I believe you’ll find a quieter ride.
My 2 cents....worth half that!

I should add that if you’re riding without a windshield, then helmet shape would be a factor.

going against the tide of the senior members, but...

night & day, arctic & desert, no comparison whatsoever, none!

went to my local Cycle Gear shop and told them what was going on. they said give this helmet a try, so i did. night & day, arctic & desert, no comparison whatsoever, none! easily scores of decibels quieter (no idea how to measure decibels, but you get the idea). i might still play around a bit more wioth some of the other ideas put forth here, but i can't expect things to get too much quieter than it is now.

old helmet - Biltwell Gringo

new helmet - Shoei RF1200

i can easily put a sound system in this helmet.

Just reading this thread and have dealt with with issue on a couple bikes. First you have to know the air flow around you present windscreen to know how to deal with the issue. Best way to do this is to take some yarn and cut it into 10 inch pieces and then tape them around your windscreen. Then take your bike for a ride. this will allow you to see the airflow.

My best guess from your description is you need lowers as stated earlier. They will make a world of difference. The Touring model has these attached to the bottom of the windscreen. I got the ones on my America on from Fast Eddy Sports and they are made by Memphis Shades. The windscreen on this bike was really beating me up and the lowers made everything go away.

On my R3T it was beating the top of my helmet to death. I solved that with an xcreen tour.

upload_2017-11-24_19-6-42.png

Last edited:
yea, i'll check out getting some "lowers" for it

what do you guys think about blocking out the space created when you install engine roll bars and the engine itself, those would be like "lower lowers" :D

Last edited:
what do you guys think about blocking out the space created when you install engine roll bars and the engine itself, those would be like "lower lowers" :D
Will NOT affect buffeting. May however held stop trousers flapping. And will keep feet dry.

have sinced changed the design to aim air at the engine.

Very interesting and the first time I've actually seen this laid out.
I have also worked this windshield height issue out based on my riding, human factors and collision reconstruction training and experience of past 48 years.
Similar technique, except the bike is on the ground with rider seated on it. The distance is measured on level pavement from the leading edge of the front tire 30 feet ahead to the pavement.
IMHO, this is enough to break the wind over top of your helmet and provides clear visibility closer to your bike. This affords better visibility especially useful in the twisties.

Back