r3 newbie with helmet "wind slapping"

Very interesting and the first time I've actually seen this laid out....IMHO, this is enough to break the wind over top of your helmet and provides clear visibility closer to your bike. This affords better visibility especially useful in the twisties.
Factors I believe (from experience) not accommodated. Distance head to screen and incident angle of screen.

DietmarOtteChart1_zpsdc51fd87.jpg

45.3% - The chance your open face will do NOTHING in a crash.

Step 1: Find a trash can.
Step 2: Deposit that open face decoration.
Step 3: Go buy a full face. Find one that is aerodynamic, Sharks, Nexx, and Shoei tend to have the best aerodynamics in my experience.
Step 4: Enjoy no more or vastly reduced buffeting.

Seriously, if you like having a chin use a closed face helmet if tolerable in the weather your ride in. Open face helmets are a joke.

I did ride with an open in Hawaii in the summer months, it's just not reasonable to wear a full face in the middle of the day, in that heat and humidity, sitting in traffic. That said, I just treated it like not wearing a helmet, rode very defensively and didn't really play very much.

I put the image up front because I know people will start reading and skip over it if they're open face fans. Closed faces are vastly more aerodynamic, while being more protective, and they help cut decibel levels (even a stock roadster @ 70mph will cause long term hearing loss).

I started, like many, with "inexpensive/cheap" helmets. Ya know, Wal-Mart Bell, etc. Had a lot of issues with neck pain, crease on the forehead, and the like. NO windshield. Finally wound up with Shoei Quest, and was really amazed at the performance. I actually get less buffeting of my head, wearing the helmet, than no helmet at all. It feels like the wind going over/around the Quest is actually supporting my head. I know it sounds weird, but the truth. Something to do with the shape, maybe they wind test different designs?

OK I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have had this thought more than a couple times on those hot days.

Why is there no venting in the face shield itself. I always thought a couple of well placed slits could greatly affect the comfort in a full face?

I know on the Touring there are a lot of times I have mine up and the air flow is not affected.

I have even thought about getting something like an old Bell Star and not even installing the face shield?

Factors I believe (from experience) not accommodated. Distance head to screen and incident angle of screen.

Tis already all considered as this procedure is the about rider's forward visibility, regardless of screen position.

Step 4: Enjoy no more or vastly reduced buffeting.
imho - a streamlined lid gives little or no benefit behind a screen. This based on experience.

But the mandibular protection I would never dispute. And ride thusly covered always. Problem I have with some lids is that the chin-piece is VERY close to my chin.

I did not realize, until I did a lot of research, that there are many different "head shapes" and many/some helmet manufacturers have different models, for different "head shapes."

Back