R3 leather panniers falling to bits

I explained what was wrong with my panniers ,how I had fixed them and asked if anyone else had had the same problem.
I never asked why the leather has gone out of shape or how to renew leather because I dont have that problem.
He has a link in his signature which I can click on any time I wish to view his products.

If vendors want to chime in and sell me something every time I start a thread,my time here will be shortlived.

don't tarry...
:D

greg

Flip was a member here and rocket owner long before he started making any products. If you are annoyed with him now, you should go back and read some of his posts before he had something to sell. :D

Either way start bashing him on any of the rocket sites any your time on any of them will be shortlived.

Back to the OEM Leather Pannier Issue

I crashed my 08 Classic back in November 09 (if you haven't read the story, click here).

Part of the ensuing $6,000 worth of repairs on the bike was the replacement of my after-market $300.00 Castle saddlebags with the OEM $799.00 Triumph saddlebags. The Castles were better. I knew about the issues with overloading and failure to maintain with cleaner and conditioner, and made sure to keep them under loaded and conditioned.

Nevertheless, the initial disappointment was that the stitching on the left bag was crooked, causing the seam on the top front to be askew, which won't allow the Velcro to meet properly. I figured I could live with that, it still closed sufficiently.

But within a week the stitching on the lids of both bags started to disintegrate. While both have kept their shape well, the stitching is really poor and I am going to have to repair or replace soon. I'm thinking I may break out the forms, fiberglass, and marine epoxy and just build myself a set of custom hard bags.

Triumph's quality control on a lot of their accessories seems to be slipping lately. I've seen older Triumph OEM bags on R3s that were put together much better than this.

I recently bought the Triumph short sissy bar kit. It came short one bolt and cap-nut, plus one bolt was a half inch longer than the others and had to be cut down. Believe it or not, I had the same issue with the highway peg kit...one bolt was too long. It's like people are just grabbing parts out of the pick bins and not even looking at them before they toss them in the bag. And there's obviously no computerized weight checking system prior to shipping.

It looks like another case of unchecked out-sourcing. Triumph needs to start pulling this stuff back in-house or get some folks from the factory who really care to go do some over-sight at their outsource partner locations in Taiwan and the Netherlands.

Quality materials are a waste if not assembled correctly.

Last edited:
Daryl, I'm doing that as we speak. As for what Pig9r said, Flip has really mellowed out considering his posts back when I first arrived here in 05 or 06.

Maybe I was too hard on him, he may not be used to posts being somewhat hijacked...here it happens all the time. You just steer thru it and pick what you need to know.

Dennis

Last edited:
I've never worried too much about overloading, that's what the brackets are for, maintain some clearance between the leather and the pipes and yer good to go, but I will say I have dressed the bags once a season at least for the last few years... uh, it's leather. going on 6 years and 25+K miles on mine and to answer your question nope, I have not had that, or any other problem with my bags. Probably they have sourced them all over the place over the years- I don't know... quality is as quality does... maybe I got lucky there. Wish I could say the same about getting some half assed service from a Triumph dealer... I've traveled far and wide for that and I still haven't found what I'm looking for...
A little sagging here or there doesn't bother me nor do I think it's going to lead to a popped rivet. Now that you've got that stuff all fixed up though, I'd say just enjoy those big bags, dress 'em once a year and ride on!

Flip was a member here and rocket owner long before he started making any products. If you are annoyed with him now, you should go back and read some of his posts before he had something to sell. :D

Either way start bashing him on any of the rocket sites any your time on any of them will be shortlived.

Im not annoyed with anyone and my apologies to flip if it came across that way.
I have been on 4x4 sites where there are 10-20 vendors waiting to join every thread with an offer to sell products and pretty soon the useful posts die off and the site crumbles.
I realize forums need vendor support but I still feel they should back off until there is a request for information.

Back