R3 leather panniers falling to bits

zimtuff

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Trimuph Rocket
I got a set of Triumph leather panniers with my 08 rocket and they are falling to bits.
The metal studs that hold the buckles and straps on have nearly all broken and last week I took them to a luggage repairer who replaced all the studs(quite cheaply).
He also commented on how weak the studs were and showed me his which were obviously of superior quality.
I was in a dealers the other and they charge $1495AUD for them:eek:.
Im glad I never bought them otherwise I would be quite pissed off.

Anyone else had the same problem?

I had some if the same problems I sent mine to Flip and a couple of weeks later they were better than new. Fast affordable and the quality and price was great.....best money I spent this year

I have replacement studs (rivets) in stock that you can install yourself in black and silver. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver and some time.

The OEM rivets do have thin heads but there is a reason and that is, with a thick head, swaging the rivet secure would compromise the leather. The Panniers are assembled from very good quality hides.

I have replacement studs (rivets) in stock that you can install yourself in black and silver. All you need is a flat blade screwdriver and some time.

The OEM rivets do have thin heads but there is a reason and that is, with a thick head, swaging the rivet secure would compromise the leather. The Panniers are assembled from very good quality hides.

Thanks for the offer,but I have had them all replaced locally
The rivets on mine were garbage regardless of having a thin/thick head . After 1 month at least 2/3 had broken under normal usage.

One of the big shortcomings of the OEM pannier sers are the fact that they loose their shape because owners habitually overload them. There is lots of room in there and it's an invitation to stuff in some more and that causes the Panniers to sag, the rivets to come loose and neglect on the owners part causes the leather to become brittle.

Good leather is animal tissue and it has to have the nutrients replaced regularly. Everytime you wash the bike or leave it sit in the sun, the nutrients that keep the leather pliable dissipate and eventually it becomes brittle, cracks and looses rivets.

I have the original Panniers on my '06 and they look as good if not better than new simply because I don't overload them plus I replace the lost nutrients and of course they have my HDPE liner kits installed as well. Of course I sell a proprietary leather conditioner as well and I'm sure if you ask other members here who have purchased it, they will tell you it's good stuff. My wife shows Percheron Draft Horses ans horse sweat ruins leather fast. That's how I found out about the leather conditioner I offer on my website. It's all I use and I use it on everything leather that I own.

One of the big shortcomings of the OEM pannier sers are the fact that they loose their shape because owners habitually overload them. There is lots of room in there and it's an invitation to stuff in some more and that causes the Panniers to sag, the rivets to come loose and neglect on the owners part causes the leather to become brittle.

Mine were virtually unused and were not fitted to the bike when I got it. At that point 2 rivets were broken.
After I fitted them and used them to carry spare clothing the rivets broke off without any load applied to them.
Maybe I should have gone to the dealer but the luggage repair shop only charged $40 to replace the lot.

I would appreciate it if you didnt turn my posts into sales promos for your products.

Sidecar Flip

I for one wanted to thank you for always finding innovative solutions to Rocket issues. You post are always a joy to read and your products speak for themselves, and seem to come more from the pursuit of excellence than profit. I always make a point to read your follow up on any post to gleam wisdom, thank you. You and several other Captains on this sight really make it worth checking everyday it's ashamed the post took this turn. On a lighter note expect and order today, LOL.

Zimtuff, you might want to ease up on Flip, he provided you with a bunch of information about why that may have happened and you basically blew him off. If you notice on the upper right hand side of the page he has an advertisement for his products and is a paying supporter of this forum (for lack of a better espression). All the members who have used his products are very pleased with what he has made available...plus the advice. If you want to "go your own way" fine but some explanation was given for what may have happened to your bags, if you choose to ignore, disregard, blow it off,or whatever floats your boat...more power to you but he was only trying to help...if you don't want to buy his products don't, that's your business.

If I took your last reply in the wrong way I apologize in advance...but it hit me the wrong way and knowing Flip and having ridden with him(...well way ahead of him) I felt I needed to say what I said.

Dennis

Rocketless for now

Zimtuff, you might want to ease up on Flip, he provided you with a bunch of information about why that may have happened and you basically blew him off. If you notice on the upper right hand side of the page he has an advertisement for his products and is a paying supporter of this forum (for lack of a better espression). All the members who have used his products are very pleased with what he has made available...plus the advice. If you want to "go your own way" fine but some explanation was given for what may have happened to your bags, if you choose to ignore, disregard, blow it off,or whatever floats your boat...more power to you but he was only trying to help...if you don't want to buy his products don't, that's your business.

If I took your last reply in the wrong way I apologize in advance...but it hit me the wrong way and knowing Flip and having ridden with him(...well way ahead of him) I felt I needed to say what I said.

Dennis

Rocketless for now

I explained what was wrong with my panniers ,how I had fixed them and asked if anyone else had had the same problem.
I never asked why the leather has gone out of shape or how to renew leather because I dont have that problem.
He has a link in his signature which I can click on any time I wish to view his products.

If vendors want to chime in and sell me something every time I start a thread,my time here will be shortlived.

WOW ...zimtuff get over yourself, Flip was just trying to offer assistance thats what this forum is about. I for one appreciate the advise and assistance. As for Flips products they sell them self I don't see any where in his post were he tried to sell you anything. He just let you know he had them available except it for what it is and move on.

Back