Progressive 444 geometry

What was your preferred preload setting? I just got a new set of 444 and don't know how to set them other than by the butt-feel method.

Push down on the seat and let it come up to rest position slowly, but on it's own. Then measure between the centerline of the mounting bolts.
Adjust up or down on both sides, then repeat

You want the mfr specified length to be 1" longer than the mounted static length. If you bought 12.5" shocks, you are looking for that measurement to be 11.5" From there we can increase or decrease based on your feel

Do this with your standard luggage on... your tailbag and its contents

Push down on the seat and let it come up to rest position slowly, but on it's own. Then measure between the centerline of the mounting bolts.
Adjust up or down on both sides, then repeat

You want the mfr specified length to be 1" longer than the mounted static length. If you bought 12.5" shocks, you are looking for that measurement to be 11.5" From there we can increase or decrease based on your feel

Do this with your standard luggage on... your tailbag and its contents

That accounts for the weight of the bike. I guess the rider's weight and riding style will lead to any change from there. Looks like very little preload change goes a long way and butt-feel is important. How about which sleeve to insert in the bushing? How do you choose that?

That accounts for the weight of the bike. I guess the rider's weight and riding style will lead to any change from there. Looks like very little preload change goes a long way and butt-feel is important. How about which sleeve to insert in the bushing? How do you choose that?

If you gave them your weight when you ordered, they will have installed the correct progressive springs to account for sag with rider.

Not sure what bushings you are talking about. It was almost 2 years ago when I installed mine and don't remember. Text me pics

But they should just slide on in place of the old

If you gave them your weight when you ordered, they will have installed the correct progressive springs to account for sag with rider.

Not sure what bushings you are talking about. It was almost 2 years ago when I installed mine and don't remember. Text me pics

But they should just slide on in place of the old

Sh!T sorry, just double checked. You need to be on the bike in full gear with your luggage mounted as well. You'll need the little lady to measure for you while you are on the bike. A floor chock will help immensely so you can stay stable as you won't have your feet down

And if you mean these bushings... Find the one that you can slide over the post and is not longer than the post itself.

91uSnmdgKLL._SX425_.jpg

Another option...

Swing up by my house Saturday and we'll put them on and get them setup. I'm not going down to the rally.

Another option...

Swing up by my house Saturday and we'll put them on and get them setup. I'm not going down to the rally.

OK, will call. Thank you. Ill bring the throttle body spare so you can tinker with the idea of removing the idle stepper motor linkage or replacing the motor from the spare to the bike.

Keep in mind as well, our shocks are not mounted vertically. It's a 1.4:1 relationship, (swingarm to shock movement ratio).

As mentioned, the bike can and will become twitchy at some point.

Mine gets a little twitchy now, but that's, +0.826"r rear suspension height increase, +0.5" rear tire height increase, - 0.5" front tire height decrease.

Last edited:
Keep in mind as well, our shocks are not mounted vertically. It's a 1.4:1 relationship, (swingarm to shock movement ratio).

As mentioned, the bike can and will become twitchy at some point.

Mine gets a little twitchy now, but that's, +0.826"r rear suspension height increase, +0.5" rear tire height increase, - 0.5" front tire height decrease.

Sounds like a minimum setting for me. If I start hitting bottom in the turns twist them 1/2 turn. I had the 440 at minimum and did OK until one started to teal oil.

Sounds like a minimum setting for me. If I start hitting bottom in the turns twist them 1/2 turn. I had the 440 at minimum and did OK until one started to teal oil.

Too low will suck in the corners. Bottoming out will blow the seals.

Don't base your settings on Rob's bike geometry, his bike is much lighter, more powerful, has shocks leaning more toward race than cruise, and gets ridden harder.

We'll set it up as suggested by Progressive, you can ride it for a while and see how it goes. I bet you like them much more than the 440s you had.

Back