Progressive 444 geometry

On my own I'm 300lbs. I do ride alone most of the time. If you're calling me thin, I appreciate the compliment but I'm married.
Haha, i was just saying because at 280 i had a set of springs made for me, much too heavy a spring rate, only a 1/4in sag on lightest preload setting and that had me jacked up, ive had to give up these shocks so i can get rear set properly, i could have changed spring but i went another route, just be able to achieve sag that is a must to be set up balanced between rear and front.

So, I've talked to progressive and you can buy the springs for around $35 each, direct from progressive, and switch them yourself. I bought the 13" HD springs because that's all I could find and will probably have to change them to std. @1olbull has stated that he had the HD springs for awhile and switched to std and enjoys them much better. But he's less than 300 (I won't say what he weighs, but he can chime in).

BTW, I weigh 275 and ride with hardbags with some stuff in them most of the time.

Last edited:
So, I've talked to progressive and you can buy the springs for around $35 each, direct from progressive, and switch them yourself. I bought the 13" HD springs because that's all I could find and will probably have to change them to std. @1olbull has stated that he had the HD springs for awhile and switched to std and enjoys them much better. But he's less than 300 (I won't say what he weighs, but he can chime in).

BTW, I weigh 275 and ride with hardbags with some stuff in them most of the time.
how much sag are you able to achieve on lightest(longest) preload setting out of curiosity, mine unsaddled is sprung tight i can only get 1/4in and that really sets the geometry out of balance.

I'm still waiting on them to show up. Supposed to come in tomorrow night. Going to put the shocks on and change engine/bevel box oil and install some fresh rubber on the rear so I'll let you know.

how much sag are you able to achieve on lightest(longest) preload setting out of curiosity, mine unsaddled is sprung tight i can only get 1/4in and that really sets the geometry out of balance.

I have the same problem. I'm about 205lbs and with zero preload on 444 heavy duty springs and I get about the same sag as you. With the wife on it, and no preload I'm right about at 1 inch of sag. So the heavy duty springs are more like super heavy duty in my opinion. Called progressive and ordered standard weight. The guy tells me they will be a little light for 2 up, but I find that hard to believe. If the heavy duty spring is too heavy for me and my wife but giving me the correct sag with no preload, then how will the standard spring be too light? I'm optimistic and I think they will be fine. I should be able to get the correct sag with just me on the bike and if I need to crank the preload to the 3rd mark when she's on with me, then so be it.

I have the same problem. I'm about 205lbs and with zero preload on 444 heavy duty springs and I get about the same sag as you. With the wife on it, and no preload I'm right about at 1 inch of sag. So the heavy duty springs are more like super heavy duty in my opinion. Called progressive and ordered standard weight. The guy tells me they will be a little light for 2 up, but I find that hard to believe. If the heavy duty spring is too heavy for me and my wife but giving me the correct sag with no preload, then how will the standard spring be too light? I'm optimistic and I think they will be fine. I should be able to get the correct sag with just me on the bike and if I need to crank the preload to the 3rd mark when she's on with me, then so be it.

So what was the final cost from Progressive, if you don't mind me asking? They quoted me about $35 each, so I was figuring at least $80 for a set after shipping. Like I said, I would have gone straight with the STD after talking with Steve, but at the price I got the HD, figured even if I had to buy the STD springs separate I would still be ahead/break even.

I'm like you @Bull , heavy and happy with the HD springs and do not bother to change preload on them solo or loaded with gear.

But it is alright guys, any of you over 50 greys should have plenty of rear end sag well under way by now regardless of body weight. ;) :whitstling::roll::roll::roll:

But apparently it does not need to be so:

This is NOT a transgender image either! ;):laugh:
1590111822958.png

Last edited:
I'm like you @Bull , heavy and happy with the HD springs and do not bother to change preload on them solo or loaded with gear.

But it is alright guys, any of you over 50 greys should have plenty of rear end sag well under way by now regardless of body weight. ;) :whitstling::roll::roll::roll:

But apparently it does not need to be so:

This is NOT a transgender image either! ;):laugh:
1590111822958.png
There is so much to unpack here I can’t even begin.

So what was the final cost from Progressive, if you don't mind me asking? They quoted me about $35 each, so I was figuring at least $80 for a set after shipping. Like I said, I would have gone straight with the STD after talking with Steve, but at the price I got the HD, figured even if I had to buy the STD springs separate I would still be ahead/break even.

Yup, it was $80 with shipping. Not too bad. I picked up the shocks for $501.

Back