Paint Matched to Classic Beetles

Laptop

Flip, actually when I get home I am in the financial services business and make house calls. I would more than likely take the Gold Wing for that, but if I felt like traveling "light" I might jet out to the client on the Rocket. Other than that, you're right, it stays home.
The reason I was looking at the beetle bags is they lock, while the Triumph ones don't.
Dennis

Dennis:

Not to pry, well, maybe just a little, but what does a person in the financial services business do in Afganistan or Kabul (whever that is)? You don't have to reply but I'm bad at geography so Kabul sounds like a suburb of Dearborn to me.

Myself, I'd be aprehensive to go either place with all the unrest in the world in general.

Why am I in Kabul.

Flip, I enjoy the financial services business and was the office manager of my company's office in Pensacola. But there is a lot of money to be made out in the field, so I decided to go that route. Unfortunately, my replacement took over for me and the next day in the field just happened to be 9/11/01. To make a long story short the next year or so was pretty lean times in my business as a lot of people didn't want to do anything with their money (investing, refinancing, etc...) so when Kellogg Brown and Root called again (I had previously worked for them in Somalia/94 and in the Marshall Islands/98) I decided to go with them until things got better. So after two different tours in Djibouti, Africa and in Afghanistan since February I've been with them. The money has been good and "consistent" but come this March (possibly May) I'm coming home for good to enjoy my family, Gold Wing and to, hopefully, pick up a new Rocket. I maintained all my licenses in the financial services arena (read: paid my annual money to the various agencies to keep my licenses in force) so when I come back I'll go back into that part time and do a lot of riding in between and looking forward to it.

And as to what I do right now I run a ROWPU (Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Unit) to make water over here for the camp I am in.

And as for being worried about the area I'm in, I put it like this, I worry more about "danger" and losing my life, riding my Gold Wing down Hwy 29 from home (Molino, FL) to Pensacola with the traffic there than I ever have over here (or in Mogadishu, Djibouti, Kandahar, Bagram or Kabul).
Dennis

Last edited:
Molinoman, very interesting and thanks for sharing. I have a former co-worker who is a Lt Col in the Army, he is currently in Kabul and other parts unknown. He is a great story teller and sends some great emails and photos from that crazy place. I can't image what you see in the course of your day.

Molinoman: (Dennis):

I, like Pig9r, enjoyed you sharing that with us. I was curious. It is interesting to read about what others do especially when it's unusual, like you.

I have a friend who is on his second tour in Iraq as a civillain working for a sub of Haliburton. He paid off all his liabilities on his first tour and is now becoming a real estate magnate on his second tour. Iraq is tough. I know. I've had many conversations with him. Haliburton uses an interesting term when giving a raise. They call it an "uplift". Very fitting term.

If I was 20 years younger and single, I would consider Iraq knowing the accumulation of assets can be quite rapid, especially with a marketable, in demand trade.:bch:

Money overseas

Actually the uplift is not considered a raise per se. It is only applicalbe to your first 40 hours you work per week. Where the money comes in is that we usually work seven days a week/12 hours a day. We only get an R&R every four months, so you are putting in a lot of time. Stateside you generally get only 40 hours a week and sometimes "grudgingly" some overtime. Here we usually do the 84 hours a week deal and that along with the uplift usually means a pretty decent paycheck once a month. Since I also retired from the Navy in 1993 I am pulling in some decent green each month. However, being married, it is pretty hard on you, with me being in the Navy previously my wife was a little used to long separations, but others have run into trouble keeping a marriage going even with all the money coming in because they are not used to being apart.

As for "exciting" over here and interesting, I think the military has a better handle on that. Being as we are civilians now, we usually keep on the camps or bases except when it is our turn to go on R&R. So it is pretty boring for us and for me I make Amazon a pretty good customer for music, movies, and books.
Dennis

For Tomo

By the way did you ever get that PM from me? I was wondering if the laptop measurements might be okay for those beetle bags by Corbin.
Thanks,
Dennis

Wow what kind of phone do you have my razr doesnt take that kind of pic? Anyway I have heard that Corbin does a great job with paint and his proves it.

Freak

Back