On/Off Switch 2020 GT.

Triumph has done some very strange things on the new Rocket.. It has a kill switch on the handlebar, it has another one on USA models under the left side of the seat, and it has an on/off switch on the key FOB.. No wonder the dealer told me soooo many people were having trouble starting their new bikes.. AND on top of all that, the side stand must be up
and the clutch in. All five functions are required to start the bike. A simple key switch would have been nice.
The side stand must be up if you put it in gear (which makes sense). I always start mine on the side stand. As far as the moronic US-only extra switch, just leave it on. It's not rocket science (pun intended)

Triumph has done some very strange things on the new Rocket.. It has a kill switch on the handlebar, it has another one on USA models under the left side of the seat, and it has an on/off switch on the key FOB.. No wonder the dealer told me soooo many people were having trouble starting their new bikes.. AND on top of all that, the side stand must be up
and the clutch in. All five functions are required to start the bike. A simple key switch would have been nice.
Did some electrical testing today to determine if leaving the Ignition switch under the tank in the ON position actually has a parasitic draw when the bike is parked.
The simple answer is NO..
Using both a voltmeter, and Ohms meter, there was absolutely no draw from the battery with the switch on, or off. That switch evidently
is just a dead man switch even though its marked Ignition. Its really redundant on the new Rocket.. Keep it in the ON position.. One less thing to do to start it.

canada presumably according to the owner's manual must have that switch on off like in the US mine does not and I checked the others on the showroom floor none either !!

My Triumph mechanic calls it the oven switch, both my 2018 Tiger and my 2021 Rocket have them. There is some rule in the US and Canada that you have to have a physical electrical cutoff for the bike, the rocker switch doesn't count so they needed something else. To keeps costs low it is easier to have the little switch that everyone forgets about than to have different switch pods and wiring to the handlebars.

Similar to how in the US we didn't have LED turn signals for a while because of the required reflector surface. It basically boils down to Triumph meeting US regulations that have probably not been updated since the 70s and not kept up with new technology.

Just leave the switch on and don't worry about it. I don't run the key fob off unless I am putting the bike away for winter and even then I have forgotten. I traded my 2018 Tiger in on the Rocket with the original keyfob battery. Once in a while it would complain that the keyfob is out of range but I just ignored them because it would go away. Even if your keyfob battery is dead, you can still start the bike by holding the key near the rear of the bike on the left side (as you sit on it). There is information in your owners manual showing exactly where to hold the key.

it was funny when i brought the rocket for the first service to the dealer, and I guess a new guy went to pickup my r3 from the parking lot to the service garage.... I can see him from the window scratching his head why the r3 didnt start.... i stepped out... turn that switch on... and turn on the fob... lol ... I am just used to turn off everything when is over... kind like a checklist for a plane...

My local Triumph dealer says to leave the On/Off switch on the left side under the tank in the ON position all the time, and never turn it off.
They say Triumph recommends this. WHY did they put that switch on the bike if it was never intended to be used as a switch. I don't know if its only on USA models
due to government regulations like burning headlights during the day etc. I know bikes sold in the USA are required to have a kill switch on all models. If that's the case, its an odd
place to put it.
yeah, may die trying to hit the kill switch.

I would guess that u have the kill switch which shuts off ign.
and the one by the seat that is the master switch which cuts everything. they wanted these on the mud boggers so the people in charge could kill power from outside.
it gets pretty exciting when u make a 3 second run and a rock lands in your throttle hold it wide open.
on mine i had a universal light switch switch so even when i could not see i could still slam the switch.
even more exciting when u lose your brakes.

Back