Oils ain’t oils sol!

I am no oil expert.
So I ask what is the best criteria for an oil change-- Time, miles or both?
For example I like to change the oil yearly or every 3000 miles which ever comes first.
But synthetic may be more stable in the time line and or Miles. At $80+ an oil change I'd like to be able to stretch it, but not at the expense of the engine!
Any input on this? Thanks! :)

And I have Mobil 1 4T in my Touring at the moment.
Manual states 10,000 miles or each year, whichever comes first. I did mine as per the manual and at over 130,000 miles it is still running strong.

I change mine every 10 000 km or 6400 miles or even if I go over abit once a year. Just because we have winter here and it comes out close to that. I use Amsoil 20-50 syn.

Last edited:
As has already been mentioned... any fully synthetic MOTORCYCLE rated oil will work. You can even use a non or semi synthetic motorcycle oil, so long as you change it more often since the viscosity will degrade sooner.

Ask yourself the question, has anybody had an engine fail due to the type of engine oil used???? I haven't heard of any!

Having said this, I still prefer to use premium grade Mobil 1 4T or Amzoil 10W40 motorcycle oil since I run my oil the full 16,000 kilometers between changes.

PS - don't yah love oil threads?

Last edited:
Just poured in Mobile 1 4T 10-40 last night.

Have used:
Castrol
Amsoil
Mobile 1

In the future the list will be:
Amsoil
Amsoil
Amsoil

Just got a case of 12 litres from Amsoil. They have a sweet deal whereby, if you purchase a 6 month dealership term for $15 bucks, they give big discounts and free shipping if you order at least a case. The $15 bucks was waved by the sponsor so I got the oil for $12/litre which is a lot cheaper than the $16 to $20 a litre advertised at dealers.

Simple: It’s the best.

All synthetics are NOT created equal, all will work just fine, the question is “how long and how many miles?”

I’m sure a lesser oil would work just fine, but why cheap out on something as trivial as oil with a built motor?!

For the same reason, I don’t even pay attention to my mileage per change, instead I look at the oil residue on my finger when I wipe the dip stick. The change I just did only had ~1400 miles on it, but it was the bed in oil for my new motor work, and showed a slight black particulate to it.

If it’s not light amber and clear with no particulate.... it comes out.

If it smells like fuel... it comes out.

If it’s been in there 3 months or more... it comes out.

I’ll be adding twice annual hypoid oil servicing and twice annual spline lubing as well. With the extra torque on tap I’d rather give all the expensive wear items the best possible chance of a long life.

You really cant do to much maintenance!!
I don’t ride as much as I would like, but I do find time for maintenance, because when I do get to ride don’t want any issues!

Back