Clutch problem solved AT LAST

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
I put the bike in the stand and got it up to where it was easy to see things. A bunch of little things added up to a pain in the butt. First of all, I found out the workshop manual I purchased back in Dec is for the 05>07. I call the seller today and no beating around the bush. he will have the correct one in the mail tomorrow. it is the same one the dealers use. The bar risers (2inch) are a bit too much for this cable. Oil in the cable helped a lot, and I will not be building up my forearms using the clutch. I did not know about the alignment marks until one of the folks posted a lot of pictures. Then upon the stand, I could see the small indent on the spline gear. I put a MC jack under the bike and got the rear wheel off the table. Then I did a shifting test. Seems to work OK. One of the biggest help was this forum. To say the least, I was frustrated. During periods my wife stays away from the shop, because ( start with Naval terms not fit for the church. In short thanks a lot. The new workshop manual will help out a lot.

I put the bike in the stand and got it up to where it was easy to see things. A bunch of little things added up to a pain in the butt. First of all, I found out the workshop manual I purchased back in Dec is for the 05>07. I call the seller today and no beating around the bush. he will have the correct one in the mail tomorrow. it is the same one the dealers use. The bar risers (2inch) are a bit too much for this cable. Oil in the cable helped a lot, and I will not be building up my forearms using the clutch. I did not know about the alignment marks until one of the folks posted a lot of pictures. Then upon the stand, I could see the small indent on the spline gear. I put a MC jack under the bike and got the rear wheel off the table. Then I did a shifting test. Seems to work OK. One of the biggest help was this forum. To say the least, I was frustrated. During periods my wife stays away from the shop, because ( start with Naval terms not fit for the church. In short thanks a lot. The new workshop manual will help out a lot.
You can also download soft copy of manual from @idk signature

Are them hole snipe terms :D

I would check to see if the clutch cable is the standard length or the aftermarket extended one to suit the risers.
The clutch lever action should be very easy to use as I have experienced with my Touring's past and present, I have never changed the standard handle bar risers.
I do know of 2 others that fitted the 2" Rivco Risers to their Touring's and continued using the standard cables, both gained stiff clutch lever action, eventually snapping them. Once they fitted the extended cables both regained nice easy lever action they had with the standard risers.
Worth considering.

I would check to see if the clutch cable is the standard length or the aftermarket extended one to suit the risers.
The clutch lever action should be very easy to use as I have experienced with my Touring's past and present, I have never changed the standard handle bar risers.
I do know of 2 others that fitted the 2" Rivco Risers to their Touring's and continued using the standard cables, both gained stiff clutch lever action, eventually snapping them. Once they fitted the extended cables both regained nice easy lever action they had with the standard risers.
Worth considering.
Thanks. I was thinking on the same line. Any idea where I could find one.

They were both ordered through our local Triumph Dealer, but they shouldn't be too hard to get elsewhere
Would still be worth checking the one you have already, just to be sure.
My spare standard cable measures 104.5cm's... the cable sheath measures 92.5cm.

Perhaps they were the cable for the Classic model, which had 'pulled back' handlebars. I believe it has a longer clutch cable. @Ishrub might tell you which of the 2 clutch cable part numbers listed as available for Rocket III is the correct one for Classics

Back