mr hunt

Living Legend
Ride
2013 Roadster
After repeatedly refitting the oil tank assuming the o-rings weren't seating properly and causing a constant leak from under the tank I noticed that oil was bubbling up around the head of the rear bolt.

Removed tank again and....

20210321_093035.jpg

Neither tank valve is leaking and the seals are fine. Tank and the tube the bolt fits through don't have any obvious holes.

Anyone else experience this or have an hypothesis on how it's occurred?

It blows out enough oil after riding about 20kms that the heat shield on the exhaust is covered as is the side panel and lower part of the seat
Put sealant on bolt thread before installing, something like Teflon liquid, liquid Permatex .

After repeatedly refitting the oil tank assuming the o-rings weren't seating properly and causing a constant leak from under the tank I noticed that oil was bubbling up around the head of the rear bolt.

Removed tank again and....

20210321_093035.jpg

Neither tank valve is leaking and the seals are fine. Tank and the tube the bolt fits through don't have any obvious holes.

Anyone else experience this or have an hypothesis on how it's occurred?

These bikes certainly have some strange quirks.

Could be a hair line fracture around that tube and when the bolt is tightened it's leaking. Happened to a mate of mine on his 04 model ,nice chrome oil tank too.

Back