I've got exactly this issue. Thought it was one of the o rings so replaced them, still happening, replaced the oil tank to crankcase adaptors, still happening, wrapped some tissue around the crank case to oil tank adapters and they were dry, it's exactly as you have found, the rear bolt tube, it's leaking from there when I give it large. Pootling along no leak.

Could be a hair line fracture around that tube and when the bolt is tightened it's leaking. Happened to a mate of mine on his 04 model ,nice chrome oil tank too.
That's Exactly what happened, and not uncommon apparently. @Martin-Brighton-uk the cracked weld was really obvious when I removed the tank and another member here spotted it straight away - couldn't be seen when fitted because the head of the bolt covered it

I've just this morning wrapped all the pertinent points on the oil tank with er' indoors kitchen roll and took it for a blast.. Indeed it is the TOP of the rear tube on the tank that oil is weeping out of. Will get the tank off when the oil has cooled down and have a closer look. I wonder if Araldite / Epoxy resin around the weld would be enough or should I ask a local friendly welder I've used before to put a bead of weld on it? I was toying with getting another oil tank off eBay but it could well have similar issue itself anyway. Mind you, I do have a dent in my oil that that has been there for a long time before this, it's not the dent that is leaking, it's defo the weld.

I should have known better than to of messed about taking the oil tank off and on several times, replacing tank to crankcase adaptors before looking on here and getting the vital information. Lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator seems to of removed my photos?

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_141223.jpg
    IMG_20210629_141223.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 20
Try plastic steel instead of araldite resin .Worth a shot see if that stops it. You'd need to clean and degrease it well to give it a chance to work.

I plan to weld mine but it will definitely need a coat of paint so I'm not sure how cost effective it is to repair, especially if you find a half decent used one. I was fortunate enough to be offered a good one second hand at a good price locally

I plan to weld mine but it will definitely need a coat of paint so I'm not sure how cost effective it is to repair, especially if you find a half decent used one. I was fortunate enough to be offered a good one second hand at a good price locally

When i have tubes that r cracked we braze them.

Back