Oil change filter problem

So on a new bike, model, if you don't know everything on a service, you should not attempt to do the work? Can't "learn from ones mistakes"? Wow
What was the disaster I caused on the oil change?! The oil filter after 550 miles wasn't changed. Omg!
Your bike, your money.
My take on it is "You do or do not, there is no half measures"
There's a reason IMO there's a list of things to do at service and that's not a "if you feel like it" to do-list, they're there for a reason. If oil filter change is on the list, i change the **** thing. Otherwise, what's the point if you just randomly check or change things?

Your bike, your money.
My take on it is "You do or do not, there is no half measures"
There's a reason IMO there's a list of things to do at service and that's not a "if you feel like it" to do-list, they're there for a reason. If oil filter change is on the list, i change the **** thing. Otherwise, what's the point if you just randomly check or change things?
I am not disagreeing that filter should be changed at oil changes. But you cannot convince me that after 550 miles changing oil but not oil filter will have a negative effect on my bike. The oil looked new! How much debris could be in the filter! Doesn't make sense there will be a problem. Thought earlier I would go back and change it, but decided to wait till 5k for oil change. Uh oh! Manual states 10k for change!
Someone opening up oil filter at 1st breakin oil change would prove my point I think.

I am not disagreeing that filter should be changed at oil changes. But you cannot convince me that after 550 miles changing oil but not oil filter will have a negative effect on my bike. The oil looked new! How much debris could be in the filter! Doesn't make sense there will be a problem. Thought earlier I would go back and change it, but decided to wait till 5k for oil change. Uh oh! Manual states 10k for change!
You decide you know better than Triumph, fair play to you!

Speaking of oil changes and side stands is there anywhere in the manual where it tells you if the bike should be on the side stand or upright to check the final drive oil level? I could not find it.

If your talking about the bevel box page 6.4 of service manual. Very first thing " Have a assistant stand bike upright" seasoned bikes or the new one? This is for the seasoned bike.

Last edited:
If your talking about the bevel box page 6.4 of service manual. Very first thing " Have a assistant stand bike upright" seasoned bikes or the new one? This is for the seasoned bike.
Sorry, yea I meant for the 2020 models.

Sorry, yea I meant for the 2020 models.
Yes it's in the owner's manual:
Skärmklipp 2020-05-20 21.52.08.png

With all due respect to the op , I would definately have changed the oil filter especially as it is the first service . Just in case there is any gun lurking around inside the new engine which could block the oil ways.
I would empty the oil again and change that filter and either renew the oil again or put the new drained oil back in , Just for peace of mind . After all the bike cost £20,000 a filter cost what £7 . Me personally I would have let the dealer do the full first service . No disrespect to the OP just what I would do .

Old time heavy duty mechanics particularly gear guys, you know like transmission and differential mechanics will tell you for long life of transmissions and differentials the secrete is to change the break in oil at 1000 miles. That is for a new unit or a rebuild. It gets out the fine little chunks and bits that are worked loose and worn in. I have always followed this methodology. I believe it works.

just for thought
suppose the dealer put in cheap oil and cheap filter and then let the buyer put in the good stuff :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back