Oil change filter problem

maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
This is probably obvious to most, but on my 600 mile oil change I did not change oil filter. Manual said remove 2 front screws, tilt cowl forward to get to filter. I took out screws, removed plastic around the screen or air filter. Then removed the screen that snaps in place. It was not obvious at this point how to remove filter so buttoned back up. Where did I go wrong besides starting this!
Also manual did not say whether to check dip stick sitting on bike or on the stand. I sat on it and now wonder if this is correct and maybe overfilled. If I did, I could remove oil filter once I know what went wrong and get some oil out.
Btw that oil looked really clean, guess cause new besides few miles.
My aggrevation started at the beginning when the oil pan I used with the cap on the side for convenient pouring leaked! Cap just would not seal so I was wiping up oil as I went.
Also not easy when final drive drain it was hard to have the pan close enough to plug cause tire was in the way. Whinning I know.
Thanks in advance!

My dealer told me to check my oil on side stand cold. I know this does not help with your other questions but will be standing by to hear other responses

This is probably obvious to most, but on my 600 mile oil change I did not change oil filter. Manual said remove 2 front screws, tilt cowl forward to get to filter. I took out screws, removed plastic around the screen or air filter. Then removed the screen that snaps in place. It was not obvious at this point how to remove filter so buttoned back up. Where did I go wrong besides starting this!
Also manual did not say whether to check dip stick sitting on bike or on the stand. I sat on it and now wonder if this is correct and maybe overfilled. If I did, I could remove oil filter once I know what went wrong and get some oil out.
Btw that oil looked really clean, guess cause new besides few miles.
My aggrevation started at the beginning when the oil pan I used with the cap on the side for convenient pouring leaked! Cap just would not seal so I was wiping up oil as I went.
Also not easy when final drive drain it was hard to have the pan close enough to plug cause tire was in the way. Whinning I know.
Thanks in advance!
Page 122 of the manual tells you exactly how to check the oil level properly. I can’t tell from your description what the problem is with the filter but I just followed the directions in the manual and had no issues. Good luck.

You aren’t seriously draining the final drive after 1000km? Why would you do that?
Also, I can’t really understand whether you’re trying to get at the air filter or oil filter. You mention both.
You should have changed the oil filter at the first service because you need to drain all the run-in oil. You shouldn’t need to be touching the air filter for a long time yet.
Unless you know what you’re doing there are many good reasons to have got your dealer to do at least that first service.

Page 122 of the manual tells you exactly how to check the oil level properly. I can’t tell from your description what the problem is with the filter but I just followed the directions in the manual and had no issues. Good luck.
My question on oil level was bike upright or on the stand. Manual doesn't specify, so I assumed now after the fact they mean on stand.

You aren’t seriously draining the final drive after 1000km? Why would you do that?
Also, I can’t really understand whether you’re trying to get at the air filter or oil filter. You mention both.
You should have changed the oil filter at the first service because you need to drain all the run-in oil. You shouldn’t need to be touching the air filter for a long time yet.
Unless you know what you’re doing there are many good reasons to have got your dealer to do at least that first service.
My question was not do I change the oil filter. The removing was the problem, probably not clear. I never claimed to be a wrencher! Learning on new model,bike. I mentioned screen not really knowing what the proper name is, looks like a screen filter where the cowl is. Surely you know what that is?
I think I know where I had trouble. I expected once the plastic cowl was removed I would see the oil filter and did not. It was lower. Had I looked I probably could have spun it off. Duh!
Other than oil changes, I will pay for all other services, trust me.

I think stand is correct, but not cold. Thanks
Hi Maurice... page 120 of the manual:
Capture.JPG

So whilst you start on the side stand with a cold engine, you then warm it up for 60-90 seconds only without revving it..

On most final drives, it is easier to get a tube that will slip over the nozzle on the oil bottle and insert the tube into the fill hole.

Back