Oil change filter problem

i do not know about the new filters but my 07 has a chrome shield and i just wiggle it off and then i can use a small filter wrench on it.
i will try to look at that manual and see if it makes any since to me

in the manual page 122 #3 shows the filter
not a good pic but u should be able to tell where it is at.
mine on 07 is at the bottom of the front of engine a little to the left side
hope this helps.

i do not know about the new filters but my 07 has a chrome shield and i just wiggle it off and then i can use a small filter wrench on it.
i will try to look at that manual and see if it makes any since to me
I think when I get there next time it will make sense. I think I just did not go down far enough to see the filter. Once plastic cowl is off I think filter would come off. Thanks Turbo!

Last edited:
Yeah but you're easily confused.

And BTW on page 118 with the maintenance schedule, it says "First service .. renew final drive oil." So there!

17889083-D20C-4406-9A4A-5625CD619858.jpeg

My question on oil level was bike upright or on the stand. Manual doesn't specify, so I assumed now after the fact they mean on stand.
The very first paragraph, at least in my manual, on page 122 says to check the oil cold while on the side stand. Top left corner of the page.

You aren’t seriously draining the final drive after 1000km? Why would you do that?
Umm, because you're supposed to, according to the service schedule?
Unless you know what you’re doing there are many good reasons to have got your dealer to do at least that first service.
Couldn't agree more. You either do the service properly or don't attempt it at all. Like getting in the shower and just washing your hands..

Yes, thank you @Larry_M In my defence, it’s more than 10 years since I bought a new Rocket and I don’t have the current maintenance schedule in front of me to read from.
You on the other hand don’t seem able to read posts at the top of this page. ;)

Yes, thank you @Larry_M In my defence, it’s more than 10 years since I bought a new Rocket and I don’t have the current maintenance schedule in front of me to read from.
You on the other hand don’t seem able to read posts at the top of this page. ;)
Nobody's perfect.. right? :)

So on a new bike, model, if you don't know everything on a service, you should not attempt to do the work? Can't "learn from ones mistakes"? Wow
What was the disaster I caused on the oil change?! The oil filter after 550 miles wasn't changed. Omg!

Back