I don't think the 1100 is too much bike, if he bought it himself.

I do. A V-65 Sabre will likely womp an R3 in the 1/4 mile and without a doubt on top end. I had a V-65 Magna in my earlier years.

My son(16) started on a '79 Honda cb650. Yeah, I thought it would too much for him. I was wrong about that. He rode that bike for a year with me. pride rides,troop rides, cruising with up to 6 bikes at some point. That is where he learned to appreciate ,Respect bikes I should say. I was riding a '84 Honda v65 Sabre at the time he learned on his Honda. Now, (19) he has the Sabre. He really likes it and respects it at the same time., just like I do my Rocket. I had that Sabre for 14 yrs and drove the tires off it 3 times!.Best **** motorcycle I've owned. So, I'd say ride with him as much as you can and get him used to riding with others.It doesn't mean long rides .1 hr max .That alone will get him to respect riding. Then, just maybe he will reconsider the R3. Just my 2 cents

I believe the point is riding experience & capability

@EasTexRIII I completely agree with that 100% and I wasn't making lite of it at all. I just have a really weird sense of humor that doesn't translate well into text. I.E. getting the lad a Rocket and setting the limiter to shut down at 80mph. Sorry for the misunderstanding, going back into lurk mode now.

@EasTexRIII I completely agree with that 100% and I wasn't making lite of it at all. I just have a really weird sense of humor that doesn't translate well into text. I.E. getting the lad a Rocket and setting the limiter to shut down at 80mph. Sorry for the misunderstanding, going back into lurk mode now.

Naw, your gold bro

I had a good laugh at the 80mph limit. I'll remember that if my kids want to ride when they're older.

I did most of my learning by making mistakes...that means falling off when it comes to bikes. I soon learn the limits of my talent and my bikes capabilities.

I understand the desire to keep our kids safe and i think the hardest thing a parent can do is let their kids 'fall over'...however, we can't child-proof the world so we try to world-proof our children. Let your boy know how you feel and why, tell him what you are and aren't prepared to do to help him, then let him go on his merry way.

Majikdoc you made the right choice. Your son needs much much much more experience than a month on a bike to ride a Rocket. Heck maybe the V twin 1100 is a bit too much for a beginner.

Back