I understand your point, but I didn't even have a license yet when I bought mine, 5 months on a CB750 and a learner's permit, LOL.

Depends on the person, if I had ridden when I was young I wouldn't be here, guaranteed.
Now there's a classic !

I really thought his attitude had changed when his son was born and for a year or two he was different, but it seems he's stepped back into his 18 yr old mentality. The thing I have learned from this is I will never stop being a parent.
If it didn't change after his son was born, at least for a while, I would say he had serious issues.

Science now considers the male brain only to be fully formed around age 23. One of the last areas of the brain to be fully wired: The area that controls risk aversion.

If it didn't change after his son was born, at least for a while, I would say he had serious issues.

Science now considers the male brain only to be fully formed around age 23. One of the last areas of the brain to be fully wired: The area that controls risk aversion.
He is over 30

He is over 30
Not everybody develops at the same rate.
More importantly, even with the wiring in place, the light still has to be switched on.
Fortunately for him, you are there to help him switch it on.

I would have to agree with most but seeing as we cant turn back time I would suggest that you simply tell him that if he can keep himself safe and rubber side down as well as tick free for a full 2 years that then you would support and if you can help him to get a R3, stipulate that in that 2 year period he needs to go on rides with you and learn to ride at sensibles speeds to just enjoy the freedom of riding

I would have to agree with most but seeing as we cant turn back time I would suggest that you simply tell him that if he can keep himself safe and rubber side down as well as tick free for a full 2 years that then you would support and if you can help him to get a R3, stipulate that in that 2 year period he needs to go on rides with you and learn to ride at sensibles speeds to just enjoy the freedom of riding
I already made that offer, but he wants what he wants and he wants it yesterday. He is so much like his mother.

Sell the 1100. You can't contribute to this in any way. Just like the story on page 2 of the kid going down the street to another dealer… you can't stop him from making bad choices, but you can make sure you don't contribute to them.

You've gotten a lot of replies so far from guys with far more riding and parenting experience than me, and as you said you've already tried their ideas without success. There's no solution other than not contributing to his mistakes.

He may get lucky and nothing bad will happen. I really hope so.

My very first real motorcycle was bought in Aug. 1975. At seventeen years old the money we earned while attending MARINE CORPS BASIC TRAINING was used towards the purchase of a 350 RD Yamaha. Small and easy to maneuver motorcycle with a little bit of grunt to it. The bike was my pride and joy for quite a few years. Rode the hell out of it and always kept it spit shined and polished. In 1978 traded it in for a Honda 750. At that time 750's were considered a good size motorcycle. Took numerous motorcycle safety courses from the very beginning and overtime developed into a seasoned rider. So the 750 Honda gave way to bigger and better bikes throughout my life. Kind of catching on to the theme here? Hope so. Common sense, Maturity, and Experience leads to a very rewarding time spent riding bikes. The other is a recipe for disaster. ;););););););)

Back