I have been riding MANY years, still have/ride my 1984 Sabre 1100 and it still screams despite its dated suspension. My R3R is a TOTALLY different bike as to power, handling and it weighs 200+ pounds more. No matter how good someone initially thinks they are, they should get some more experience before they "super-size". It isn't like a Sabre V-65 is a slouch...

FYI - I've told my daughter that my 3 year old grandson can have his pick of my bikes and will also have plenty of inheritance to buy whatever new bike he wants but that won't be until AFTER I'm dead. Although I love to ride, I don't want to see him ride a bike - just too many schmucks out on the roads and it's only getting worse...

I understand your point, but I didn't even have a license yet when I bought mine, 5 months on a CB750 and a learner's permit, LOL.

Depends on the person, if I had ridden when I was young I wouldn't be here, guaranteed.

i agree with this too
THE fact it is motorcycles are dangerous evrytime I ride its a dangerous expierince with all the immigrants driving like there are no traffic laws its a real mess dealing with the idiots in Philly as its now a disaster with crazy kids riacing around with Dirtbikes riding on the sidewalks and racing through traffic ignoring red lights and all traffic laws I dont want any of my loved ones driving a motorcycle or a car its so dangerous

I have been riding MANY years, still have/ride my 1984 Sabre 1100 and it still screams despite its dated suspension. My R3R is a TOTALLY different bike as to power, handling and it weighs 200+ pounds more. No matter how good someone initially thinks they are, they should get some more experience before they "super-size". It isn't like a Sabre V-65 is a slouch...

FYI - I've told my daughter that my 3 year old grandson can have his pick of my bikes and will also have plenty of inheritance to buy whatever new bike he wants but that won't be until AFTER I'm dead. Although I love to ride, I don't want to see him ride a bike - just too many schmucks out on the roads and it's only getting worse...
The V65 is a very fast bike but its smaller and lighter than the Big ROCKET like you say I dont think new riders should ride Rockets they are for experts only

Sorry if this reply pisses you off but you did ask for people's opinions.

Even more important than no fear is he has no money! Personally I feel NO children should be given cars or bikes that they haven't earnt the money to buy and operate themselves. Unless millionaires or drug dealers it generally forces them to compromise and buy something appropriate for a learner i.e. less power and cost. They then learn to operate, PAY for, and maybe even service their own vehicles which should make them value them more! It sounds like with a 3 year of his own he should be starting to take responsibility and pay for his own family and past-times.

Skipping all that he is in NO WAY capable of riding any high powered bike even your ex-Sabre without far more experience than he has, especially if he has an obvious 'attitude problem'. Final.
IF he has a bad attitude he shouldnt be riding ANY bike

A story from the late 80's when I worked at a Kawasaki dealer. A kid came in (19-20ish) and wanted to buy a brand new Ninja ZX-10. in showing him the bike we were talking and he told me he just got his license the day previous, and he had never even rode a dirt bike. I flat out told him that he was not ready for this bike and I would happily show him the 600's or something else that he could start on.

Well he got pissed off at me and left the store. 2 days later he was the front page of the news, he had went down the street to the Suzuki dealership and bought him self a brand new GSR 1100, and within 3 hours of the purchase had jumped the curb and hit a power pole head on at speeds the cops estimated at 180kph+.

When your young your bulletproof in your mind, and have no real ideas about mortality. I really feel that someone should step in and make sure young riders do not become statistics.

My first street bike was a Suzuki 250 enduro which I had for about 2 weeks before I traded it in on a 1982 Kawasaki LTD 1000, so I may be throwing stones in a Glass house here, but that being said I had also been Riding Dirt bikes since I was 5 years old, so had Hundreds of hours on two wheels.

My son has a Triumph TT600 that is his starter bike, and hes had the benefit of me telling him for 18 years that you need to respect your bike and drive like no one can see you. And hes been really responsible so far, for which I'm very grateful.
Like you I have been riding since I was eight I'm now 54 I had lots of experience on the dirt. The 1100 was my first real street bike and I rode it for 8 years before getting the X and I still was not prepared for what the R3R can do. It has taken me 2 years to kinda sorta tame the beast.
IF he has a bad attitude he shouldnt be riding ANY bike
He still has that I can't die mentality. Which I understand I think we all had it at one point in our lives.

my son has major self control issue
Anyone with a self control problem doesn't belong on a motorcycle. Any motorcycle.

This quote is terrifying to me. I think if there is one thing you need to ride a motorcycle, it's self control.

Cut the fuel lines, remove some wiring. Whatever it takes. With his attitude and ego he will kill himself on a Vespa, let alone a Rocket.

I'm thankful I made it through my first year of riding unharmed. It was pure luck, and I was only on an old 200! It had a top speed of 65mph and took a minute to get there.

To me you've already made a huge mistake giving him the 1100. I'm not usually this blunt, but you asked.

I don't know what you can really do. Anyone who is hellbent on carelessness and self-destruction is hard to stop. He won't hear you. I guess all I can say from a parenting perspective is try to always stay positive and explain it's because you love him and your grandkid and want to keep them all safe and together, while standing firm on whatever you decide for the motorcycles.

Good luck.

Bottom line is you are doing the right trying to keep him off of an R3R as they say he needs more experience (IMHO)

Anyone with a self control problem doesn't belong on a motorcycle. Any motorcycle.

This quote is terrifying to me. I think if there is one thing you need to ride a motorcycle, it's self control.

Cut the fuel lines, remove some wiring. Whatever it takes. With his attitude and ego he will kill himself on a Vespa, let alone a Rocket.

I'm thankful I made it through my first year of riding unharmed. It was pure luck, and I was only on an old 200! It had a top speed of 65mph and took a minute to get there.

To me you've already made a huge mistake giving him the 1100. I'm not usually this blunt, but you asked.

I don't know what you can really do. Anyone who is hellbent on carelessness and self-destruction is hard to stop. He won't hear you. I guess all I can say from a parenting perspective is try to always stay positive and explain it's because you love him and your grandkid and want to keep them all safe and together, while standing firm on whatever you decide for the motorcycles.

Good luck.
I really thought his attitude had changed when his son was born and for a year or two he was different, but it seems he's stepped back into his 18 yr old mentality. The thing I have learned from this is I will never stop being a parent.

Like you I have been riding since I was eight I'm now 54 I had lots of experience on the dirt. The 1100 was my first real street bike and I rode it for 8 years before getting the X and I still was not prepared for what the R3R can do. It has taken me 2 years to kinda sorta tame the beast.

He still has that I can't die mentality. Which I understand I think we all had it at one point in our lives.

Yep, and if I had my Rocket3 at that point of my life, I very likely wouldn't be now here typing this reply....

I not only agree with Ishrub that the Sabre is likely way more bike than he should be on right now if that's his current state of self-control, I am more in ThisGuy's camp. There is no place on the road for someone on 2 wheels with self-control issues. Especially someone that's INEXPERIENCED along with self-control issues...

Back