Oh my but what have I done? A KLR?

Don't we all Steve. Ah to be young and ride baggars like that off road. That gal was impressive too but a bit foolish wearing spandex leotards on a ride like that. At my age I'm wondering if I could even do that on my KLR. I think young and tough is mandatory. I too have that map, just finding in a bag of my stuff the other day.

My big accomplishment for February is loading my BMW in the back of my truck on our only day of sunshine next week, Monday, for my drive to Arizona. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong.

Don't we all Steve. Ah to be young and ride baggars like that off road. That gal was impressive too but a bit foolish wearing spandex leotards on a ride like that. At my age I'm wondering if I could even do that on my KLR. I think young and tough is mandatory. I too have that map, just finding in a bag of my stuff the other day.

My big accomplishment for February is loading my BMW in the back of my truck on our only day of sunshine next week, Monday, for my drive to Arizona. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong.

I wish you well on your run to AZ, Mike.
Wish I was going with you, as I never tire of doing the Devil's Highway, AKA 191.
Perhaps when you return, a little dirt and pizza can we do?

Ha ha ha! Something I thought I’d never live to see: A KLR discussion on a Rocket site!

I, too, own a couple KLRs and have owned 6+. I even run a FB site and a blog for KLR owners. I don’t know what draws me to that quirky old mule, but I sure like them. They’re dependable, easy to work on, economical, cheap and easy to modify and very fun. (I’ll leave out the downsides...)

The OP stated he bought it in San Diego to ride Baja, and that’s something I do often, as well. I just wrapped up a week in Baja and will be back in March.

And later this year, a friend and I will be riding our Gen 1 KLRs from San Diego to Ushuaia. So there.
E7DC2C88-7822-403B-887F-274C3CE20F4C.jpeg

You betcha, if I ever return. Screw this big dark.
Just can’t help myself. Navigator KNOWS how I feel about KLR’s but I’ll share with others. In 2007 I bought a 2006, the last year of a ‘21’ year run of virtually unchanged production. I bought it for my planned ride to Tierra Del Fuego and bought it on reputation only. I lowered it with longer dogbones and a Corbin dual platform seat, as well as panniers and a BUNCH of other upgrades. I have NEVER hated a motorcycle more in my life. It is underpowered (plan your 2-lane freeway passing carefully!), REALLY buzzy (yes, I know it’s a thumper) and from a construction point of view (I’m an industrial pipe fitter) the frame welding looked like it came out of the Philippines or some backroad shop in Mexico. I took 2 substantial multi-week trips on it, brought it home and left it in the garage for 3 years before selling it to free up some garage space. Yeah, I know people are riding these around the world, but I want a ‘motorcycle’ between my legs (like my lowered Triumph Explorer). Last note: a number of years ago at the Horizons Unlimited rally in Nakusp, BC., I was sitting around a campfire at the motorcycle friendly campground with a Harley rider who had just bought the NEW and IMPROVED 2008(?) model KLR which he had ridden to the rally. I asked “Oh, yeah, we’ll tell me how you like it?” Without missing a beat, he said “I hate this f-ing piece of crap” at which point we both started to roar and continued to drink more libation!

I had one, briefly, it struck me as a Bulgarian knockoff off a Ukrainian copy of a pre WW2 Russian farm tractor.

Just can’t help myself. Navigator KNOWS how I feel about KLR’s but I’ll share with others. In 2007 I bought a 2006, the last year of a ‘21’ year run of virtually unchanged production. I bought it for my planned ride to Tierra Del Fuego and bought it on reputation only. I lowered it with longer dogbones and a Corbin dual platform seat, as well as panniers and a BUNCH of other upgrades. I have NEVER hated a motorcycle more in my life. It is underpowered (plan your 2-lane freeway passing carefully!), REALLY buzzy (yes, I know it’s a thumper) and from a construction point of view (I’m an industrial pipe fitter) the frame welding looked like it came out of the Philippines or some backroad shop in Mexico. I took 2 substantial multi-week trips on it, brought it home and left it in the garage for 3 years before selling it to free up some garage space. Yeah, I know people are riding these around the world, but I want a ‘motorcycle’ between my legs (like my lowered Triumph Explorer). Last note: a number of years ago at the Horizons Unlimited rally in Nakusp, BC., I was sitting around a campfire at the motorcycle friendly campground with a Harley rider who had just bought the NEW and IMPROVED 2008(?) model KLR which he had ridden to the rally. I asked “Oh, yeah, we’ll tell me how you like it?” Without missing a beat, he said “I hate this f-ing piece of crap” at which point we both started to roar and continued to drink more libation!

Yup, shortest duration I ever owned a bike for. But they sell/ sold bucket loads of them, different strokes for different folks. I will say it's the only bike I ever rode through cattails, in water a foot deep, all I could think was if it ever died here, I'd just walk out the two miles and never come back for the bike, lol. I was halfway to the next road, too late to turn back, no way you could have even put the kickstand down, just drop it and walk away.

A Harley guy hating his KLR. Say it isn't so. :roll:

I've been riding it around a bit and so far really like it. I'd been contemplating getting one for years, knowing elcanaco's bad experience with his but knowing a number of local riders who are quite satisfied with the KLR. I contacted the professor we met on our 2015 Arctic Circle ride to see if he liked his KLR and he thought it to be a great bike.

I'll know soon enough. I also must say the frame on mine is quite well done. Time will tell.

I'll be loading my BMW in the back of my pickup on Monday and heading down elcanaco way. I thought to take the KLR instead but I didn't want him to feel envious when he sees it.

A Harley guy hating his KLR. Say it isn't so. :roll:

I've been riding it around a bit and so far really like it. I'd been contemplating getting one for years, knowing elcanaco's bad experience with his but knowing a number of local riders who are quite satisfied with the KLR. I contacted the professor we met on our 2015 Arctic Circle ride to see if he liked his KLR and he thought it to be a great bike.

I'll know soon enough. I also must say the frame on mine is quite well done. Time will tell.

I'll be loading my BMW in the back of my pickup on Monday and heading down elcanaco way. I thought to take the KLR instead but I didn't want him to feel envious when he sees it.

Anyone who wants a quasi-adventure touring bike but doesn’t want to, or can’t, spend the serious coin for a real one, would probably be happy with a disposable KLR. The last straw for me with mine was when I was returning from a long camping trip to Glacier Natl park and other places, and at 60+ mph on the Coquihalla Hwy the dipstick vibrated loose and emptied the crankcase contents all over me and the bike. I called a buddy who had a trailer to get me to his place. I took the bus from there, went and got my pickup and returned to transport the cripple home. Took 2+ months to get a new dipstick but I didn’t care because the bike was going nowhere but a new owner. It was either a Super Tenere or the TEX after that and the TEX won out in 2012 because the power plant is so-o-o smooth and it came with cruise control and a menu of electronics. It’s carried me 3 times to Alaska, a month around Mexico, and just short of the Ecuador border, with power and comfort to spare so I consider it money well spent.

Back