@majikdoc YOU'RE GETTING SOME GREAT ADVICE ON HERE - YOU SHOULD TAKE THIS ADVICE & RUUUUUUN WITH IT!!!!!!
THAT BOY OBVIOUSLY NEEDS YOU TO INTERVENE IN A BAD WAY - I HOPE YOU DON'T HAVE TO REGRET NOT CASHING IN YOUR TOUGH LOVE CARD, I REALLY DO

Stand Firm or sell the 1100 out from under him and he wont have anything ..... Tough Love

This stands out to me more than anything. At first I was thinking your son was in his early twenties, but he is 30. In my opinion, you shouldn't be giving your son anything but that's another thread altogether.

I hadn't rode anything with less than 4 wheels when I bought a Honda Shadow 750 when I was 20, without a licence. After 3k miles I took the advanced MSF course and although I probably wasn't ready, I passed. I was young and cocky and did some pretty stupid things on that bike but never wrecked it. I don't think the 1100 is too much bike, if he bought it himself. The Rocket is not a beginners bike.

I would take the 1100 back and if he really wants to ride he needs to work for it and buy a bike WITHOUT your help. Tough love.

Ask him how he would feel at this point in his life if he grew up fatherless from the age of 3 because of a stupid, reckless, and totally avoidable decision made by you?
There are 2 ways this can go:
1) The lightbulb comes on and he agrees. You mentor him through riding and progress like Hans0 suggested.
2) He ignores it. At which point you sell the 1100 out from under him like ThisGuy suggested.

@majikdoc To be quite blunt about it, the Saber is just as capable of really bad things happening as a Rocket is. I guess that you could really peave him off, let him get the Rocket, get Tuneecu and set the speed limiter down to about 80 mph and find some way to secure the data link connector so he can't change it back.

Have to admit that I am kind of chuckling to myself at us as a group. A bunch of full grown men riding 2.3ltr motorcycles with between 140 to well over 300HP talking about someone elses 'self control issues'. Myself included butt of course. :D

Wow! 30? Really? Sounds like a few other issues in play here. Definitely do not help him buy any bike and take the other one away! Not your job to make him happy, jus sayin.

I think if he earns it himself he'll respect it that much more. He's old enough to do what he wants, fiscal responsibility helps install behavioral responsibility.

Hoopl

I think if he earns it himself he'll respect it that much more. He's old enough to do what he wants, fiscal responsibility helps install behavioral responsibility.

Hoopl
Sorry guys. Had to close a deal on a can am for am for my wife

Hoopl
Sorry guys I had to close a deal on a can am for my wife

I agree. I was scared riding mine back from the dealer, and I had lots of road experience. I still find myself in in situations that take all my skill and knowledge to control the bike. My son has no fear. and that makes him dangerous.

This "no fear" thing makes the answer only to obvious.

Back