Next Generation Key-Less System

an idiot question:
Would this be a fix on my R3T if I need to replace my ignition switch (or if i just want to go keyless :)) without having to remove the switch cylinder/hardware?

There are no idiot questions (although I HAVE seen idiot answers!) :D

Yes, it would replace the Key-Switch electrically, but as @Joesmoe suggests, you can still leave switch in place for the lock.
In your case you would still have to repair the connector on the main harness side as the KeyLess system plugs into that
(I could supply you with a couple of replacement terminals and explain how to install or even complete connector)
If you don't/can't replace the connector you would have to make the same bypass from the white/blue that you are doing currently, to my wire on the keyless.

Note that you would not need a Relay Kit - the KeyLess will handle the current.

There are no idiot questions (although I HAVE seen idiot answers!) :D

Yes, it would replace the Key-Switch electrically, but as @Joesmoe suggests, you can still leave switch in place for the lock.
In your case you would still have to repair the connector on the main harness side as the KeyLess system plugs into that
(I could supply you with a couple of replacement terminals and explain how to install or even complete connector)
If you don't/can't replace the connector you would have to make the same bypass from the white/blue that you are doing currently, to my wire on the keyless.

Note that you would not need a Relay Kit - the KeyLess will handle the current.

Thanks for the personal attention! I'm still not sure if the switch is the problem, and I already have a relay on the way. I'll take the switch out tomorrow and see. I don't really mind the key switch, unless it needs to be replaced. :(.

That being said, I'm not sure just how long I'll keep this rocket, a year or two and then downsize. I just wanted to have one before I die (or can still hold one up). Dang the things are heavy, but I sure was getting to like it before it quit! I added some rivco risers and that tachometer right off the bat. I took off the rider back rest as it had been modified to sit about 4 inches back from the original. Must have been owned by a tall guy before me. Been trying to find an OEM adjustable back rest with no luck.

I'm rambling. Thanks all for the help!!!

Oh, and I already have some LED bulbs for the main headlight and auxilary lights, if I want to put them in. Just the bulbs, so they may not work with the current reflectors. I don't ride at night. Just want some brights for the daytime.

Last edited:
..... Been trying to find an OEM adjustable back rest with no luck...

Probably will not help greatly but the Classic/Roadster rider's backrest version is identical besides the vinyl color despite different part numbers. It may help to locate a used one for your Tourer though.

Here in Oz I just sold a new in box Touring one with a new Classic Longhaul seat for AU$550, and a used Classic one with used Classic Longhaul seat for AUD$450. Some crazy loon paid about US$400 for just the backrest on one linked here in the forums by the seller to his eBay.com US auction listing a few months ago.

Probably will not help greatly but the Classic/Roadster rider's backrest version is identical besides the vinyl color despite different part numbers. It may help to locate a used one for your Tourer though.

Here in Oz I just sold a new in box Touring one with a new Classic Longhaul seat for AU$550, and a used Classic one with used Classic Longhaul seat for AUD$450. Some crazy loon paid about US$400 for just the backrest on one linked here in the forums by the seller to his eBay.com US auction listing a few months ago.
Thats funny as i am about to sell a brand new set and a near new set.
Did you sell on ebay?

No, to a forum mate unlisted. They are not bad on a Roadster but I prefer my homemade one which gives me more room and ability to just use the solo Roadster seat or add the pillion seat as well. For larger gents like myself:eek: and the Roadster seat and footpeg position I found them a little restricting in stretch and the seat height is lower which I dislike. I may end up getting rid of my Corbin Fastgun for the same reason but have not really tested it yet. I may do a 500 mile (800km) on it this weekend with @HansO and @Longrider to the Parkes R3 record attempt gathering but I do like my homemade one with gel pads and sheep skin for long distance as I have done a couple of 3000km trips on it so far. We will need more than the 35-40 who showed up to last years RDU at SW Rocks. HansO will not be any help achieving the record this time:(:D

Last edited:
No, to a forum mate unlisted. They are not bad on a Roadster but I prefer my homemade one which gives me more room and ability to just use the solo Roadster seat or add the pillion seat as well. For larger gents like myself:eek: and the Roadster seat and footpeg position I found them a little restricting in stretch and the seat height is lower which I dislike. I may end up getting rid of my Corbin Fastgun for the same reason but have not really tested it yet. I may do a 500 mile (800km) on it this weekend with @HansO and @Longrider to the Parkes R3 record attempt gathering but I do like my homemade one with gel pads and sheep skin for long distance as I have done a couple of 3000km trips on it so far. We will need more than the 35-40 who showed up to last years RDU at SW Rocks. HansO will not be any help achieving the record this time:(:D
I'll wear my Rocket Shirt if That will Help, otherwise I just there for moral support:D

Yeah, I saw that. The fellow must have wanted one real bad! If I have to, I'll just take the one I have to a machine shop and have them chop off the extension and make it how it was supposed to be out of the box. I only need the hardware, but If I could get new or used OEM for a decent price, I would.

Please see the opening post for an update with two new features.

Added security capability which will be on all new systems going forward.
There is also potential for retrofit upgrade path for existing systems.

Last edited:
Back