New R3 Owner Questions

Mitchcpc

Supercharged
Hi All,

My nam is Mitch and I just recently became a member of this site. I have a new R3 , 2007 Mulberry red, with 250 miles ion it. 250 EXICITING miles. 250 miles of smiles!

I have a couple of questions as I am not used to riding a bike with an engine bigger than some cars. When you start these things up, do they idle up to about 1200 and then settle back down around 800? Is that normal ?

Does the exhaust on the #1 piston (front) turn the headers bluer than the others? Is this exhaust hotter than 2 and 3?

I too have a difficult time finding first from a stop unless I double clutch, then it seems to work fine. Hopefully when I switch to synthetic this will improve.

If any of you have an oil temp gauage, what is the normal oil temp? Mine runs around 175.

I modified the license plate holder to push the plate up farther. Looks pretty good and keeps the blinkers out farther. When I figure out how I'll attach a couple of before and after photos. I also put on RIVCO floor boards, crash bars, brake pedal, highway pegs, and I am waiting for my heel-toe shifter. I really like the floor boards over the pegs. I also installed the posts for the quick mount bags, but I haven't got the bags yet. Ran out of $. These will have to wait till next month. My wife says I should sell the '69 cougar, but I don't think so.

The only thing I do not like about this bike is the stock seat. Hard as a brick on this old butt. Right after my 500 mile service I have an appointment with Rich's in Seattle to get a custom seat made while I wait. Then the weels will never stop turning.

Who could ask for anything more?

Congrats. Sounds like you didn't waste any time adding the bling. Finding first is a common issue, and yes it will improve after the break-in oil is changed and the tranny and you get broken in. I have a feeling that all of the exhausts will blue with time. I was under the impression that #2 runs a little lean with the stock tunes. Since you are familiar with the Rivco catalog, get some of the exhaust flange covers. In my opinion that is the single best accessory Rivco makes.

Hi All,

My nam is Mitch and I just recently became a member of this site. I have a new R3 , 2007 Mulberry red, with 250 miles ion it. 250 EXICITING miles. 250 miles of smiles!

I have a couple of questions as I am not used to riding a bike with an engine bigger than some cars. When you start these things up, do they idle up to about 1200 and then settle back down around 800? Is that normal ?

Does the exhaust on the #1 piston (front) turn the headers bluer than the others? Is this exhaust hotter than 2 and 3?

I too have a difficult time finding first from a stop unless I double clutch, then it seems to work fine. Hopefully when I switch to synthetic this will improve.

If any of you have an oil temp gauage, what is the normal oil temp? Mine runs around 175.

I modified the license plate holder to push the plate up farther. Looks pretty good and keeps the blinkers out farther. When I figure out how I'll attach a couple of before and after photos. I also put on RIVCO floor boards, crash bars, brake pedal, highway pegs, and I am waiting for my heel-toe shifter. I really like the floor boards over the pegs. I also installed the posts for the quick mount bags, but I haven't got the bags yet. Ran out of $. These will have to wait till next month. My wife says I should sell the '69 cougar, but I don't think so.

The only thing I do not like about this bike is the stock seat. Hard as a brick on this old butt. Right after my 500 mile service I have an appointment with Rich's in Seattle to get a custom seat made while I wait. Then the weels will never stop turning.

Who could ask for anything more?

Did you consider Russell Day-Long seats (Shasta Lake, CA)?

You didn't mention, from what part of the country are you. I have an analog oil temp gage. 175 seems cool. Cool;) Mine ran 182 this past winter, in Alabama, usually. In this summer bake, 95+, it runs about 10-15 degrees hotter.

You also didn't mention which model, but I'll guess you have the base model. I'd like to say the seat gets softer but, I doubt it's the same as my Tourer (Classic) seat.

1st gear issue is usual. And, I don't recal #1 header bluing any differently than the rest. The Rivco Flange Covers do dress'er up considerable. Should be standard issue. But so should every other add-on I've gone into debt for. :roll:

Welcome to The Forum. Join in often.

Seattle

I live in Seattle and normal temp is about 80 this time of year. I have the base model R3 only because I wanted the Mulberry red, whihc only comes in the base model. Does yours idle up to about 1200 when you start cold and then idle down to about 800?

Yes.. Mine idles up to 1200 or so when cold then smooths out to about 800 RPM. Call it the fuel-injection version of "choke" on a carbureted bike. Sounds like you've got the bike all set up, and a custom seat maker right there in town.. :) Great!

Pics Posted.

I posted some pics of my version of the "do it yourself" license plate mod. Looks good for just a few minutes time.

I did look at the Russel seats, but Rich's is only 50 miles away and I will get a more custom fit as I will be there the whole time they make the seat.

Hey, it's not raining right now, think I'll go loiter around the Harley dealership, they hate it when I do that. Everyone looks and my bike and not the Harley's.

Congrats on the new bike! Hope you love it as much as I love mine. After 5000 or so miles, the 1st gear clunk seems a bit softer (or else I'm just used to it,) but it still requires a tickle of the clutch to shift from neutral to 1st. Mine does the same idle dance when cold, pretty sure they all do, sure beats playing with a manual choke! I haven't seen the Rivco boards in person yet, but sure would like to try some, glad to hear you like them.

Happy Ridin!!

Back