New Cams New Thread

My solution to the timing wheel conundrum:

20190805_124957.jpg
20190805_124952.jpg

Did some piston to valve checks today:

TDC- Intake .309" Exhaust .345"
20 BTC- Intake .444" Exhaust .480"
20 ATDC- Intake .440" Exhaust .477"

This likely explains the lack of piston meeting valve when the chain snapped, while it's still interference there is a fairly narrow 30 degree window of it using the Carpenter cams I had .2" intake and .250" at clearance at TDC.

Last edited:
The new exhaust cam, springs, and retainers arrive tomorrow :). Saweeet!!

The anticipation of doing this build is enormous! Have a date for Dyno time shortly before RAA West. Will get it broken in and oil changed, hopefully this weekend.

Put a few hundred miles on and open the cam cover up to check everything pre-dyno.

God ****, it feels like Christmas Eve in September!

The anticipation of doing this build is enormous! Have a date for Dyno time shortly before RAA West. Will get it broken in and oil changed, hopefully this weekend.

Put a few hundred miles on and open the cam cover up to check everything pre-dyno.

That's the trouble with you youngsters, you're impetuous!

Package received. First hurdle crossed, everything fits! There are a few points where the the size cams could cause parts that should not meet, to meet. The fix requires machine shop time, but it looks like I won't need to do so, a big relief.

Held up needing to do some spring testing, tomorrow afternoon I'll get that done. Hopefully riding by Sunday.

Most of this complication comes from blending parts between Triumph, Carpenter, and Neville, thankfully the man in the shed is guiding my hands from an ocean away :)

Mmhmm, no more chewed retainers for this guy.
20190904_151703.jpg

Last edited:
My solution to the timing wheel conundrum:

20190805_124957.jpg
20190805_124952.jpg

Did some piston to valve checks today:

TDC- Intake .309" Exhaust .345"
20 BTC- Intake .444" Exhaust .480"
20 ATDC- Intake .440" Exhaust .477"

This likely explains the lack of piston meeting valve when the chain snapped, while it's still interference there is a fairly narrow 30 degree window of it using the Carpenter cams I had .2" intake and .250" at clearance at TDC.
Like the way you mounted degree wheel, but would suggest using solid wire and grinding a point on it and moving just enough clearance to clear degree wheel. Sorry, just a thought.

Did you get your parts today?

Challenging obstacle #1 reached. Parts not playing nice between different companies. As a result, valve tips needing trimming down.

Machine shop required after all.

This is going to prevent my attendance at RAA West unfortunately, prevent my attendance at the East vs West drag event SEP 30, and pretty much closes out my riding season.

Like everything else, doing it right takes a little more time and a little more money but in the end I'll have all the issues fixed, so, here's to sticking to doing it right.

Don't want to be checking retainers every 5k miles, so going back to inherently flawed Ti parts is not an option for me.

Last edited:
Back