Moving to a Standalone ECU

I’m just sick of tuning using early 90s technology in 2018 :)
Internal Combustion is so 19th Century, Dahrling!. Mind you if you replaced the sparkplugs with injectors - added monster compression and a blower and made it run on sunflower oil I'd be REALLY impressed. ;)

Another reason, is, after going down the heavily modified R3 road there’s one thing Ive learned still holds true:
8FD6B94D-D585-4F76-8966-E4797F02B9FB.jpeg

Just because people having been doing things a certain way on the Rocket for years, doesn’t mean it’s the best way, by any means, and I refuse to accept other people’s “good enough” anymore.

Just because people having been doing things a certain way on the Rocket for years, doesn’t mean it’s the best way, by any means, and I refuse to accept other people’s “good enough” anymore.

If you keep pushing these powers beyond comprehension - it'll end in tears. No really!.

silent-rage.jpg

;)

Finally, the primary reason.

If you look at the chart below, you'll notice, peak power is at a very high RPM, 7,900 to be specific. I get soft fuel cut at 8,000 and hard cut at 8,200. Spinning it to 8,500, even though power will be tapering off, will still result in faster acceleration than having to switch gears up at 8,000.

So this is all fine and dandy, however, I'm taking steps to build another motor with more RPM capacity and a bigger cam, which will shift power upwards even more, probably peaking around 8,400. On that motor I definitely want to be able to spin to 9,000 or 9,200 to maximize the power potential.

My goal here is to get to 300 at the wheel, or as close to 300 as possible with air filter fitted. My rocket is turning into the toy bike instead of the daily, so, it gives me the luxury of being able to do exactly what I want with it, and I want it to be retarded fast and naturally aspirated.

300hp at 850 lbs (weight of bike and me), results in a predicted ET of 8.26 and a trap of 163mph.... Sounds just about where I want to be :p

Oh, and the WHY question that some will ask... because I can, literally no other reason.
68160_d7929b64fb3afe891c5f16304fe15721.jpg

Last edited:
Finally, the primary reason.... because I can, literally no other reason.
I've always known - but I feel it's good that you have come out of the closet.

You could shed a shedload of weight by using HydroStatic transmission and then get 2WD - Smaller tyres therefore and less tyre weight too. Me enable - never!.

CHALLENGE EVERYTHING. :sneaky:

The best reason of all. Did Carpenter not flash your ECU? I've hit the rev limiter at 9000, actually briefly saw 9200, whether overrun or inaccuracy I don't know, it felt like it was still pulling hard.

And I was thinking, I don't see many guys seriously modding modern bikes, maybe they are, but the fact that Rockets are primitive technology may be why they can be modified so much? Just wondering.

Rob will your V Stacks fit into a RamAir filter ? If they do, would they benefit the bike ?

They will not unfortunately, if they were placed inside one they’re be up against the foam and choked off.

Carpenter can’t flash the 9000 RPM tune in my bike, no map has ever been developed by Tuneboy for 2014+ Roadsters to go to 9000. Frankly I’m already beyond caring, stand-alone will be vastly better anyway.

Final decision made after a chat, Haltech Elite 1000 is what I’ll be using.

Back