Moving to a Standalone ECU

I’ve put an inquiry in to Haltech. The price difference is not that much between the MS3 Gold, MS3 PRO EVO, and Haltech Elite 1000 or 1500, about $150.

As far as display/gauges, I’m actually going to move away from the stuff currently available. It’s either way way too expensive or not suitable for the application.

Instead I will find a waterproof tablet, probably a 7”. Program a few preset displays and use that paired with my shiftlight.

The biggest challenge I foresee is figuring out how to integrate Decose’s keyless setup with the standalone.

I found out recently from a mate that builds Hot Rods that GPS speedos are not allowed over here to get a WOF. We though this was odd when they are probably more accurate than a number of speedos on bikes I have owned.

Also have wondered about alternative fuel management systems in the past as there a large number of car fuel management systems you can get, principal of operations the same and they seem to be 12V and 5V systems

I found out recently from a mate that builds Hot Rods that GPS speedos are not allowed over here to get a WOF. We though this was odd when they are probably more accurate than a number of speedos on bikes I have owned.
The only GPS system that I am aware of you can use - requires the use of so called DEAD RECKONING. This is a MIX of GPS and other sensors - The GPS basically re-calibrates the speed pulses. And if there is no GPS you still have a speedo. When I last looked there was only one company offering it - u-blox in Switzerland.

The problem with GPS speedos - ime (I have a GPS speedo fitted as a speed check device) - is that in narrow streets with tall buildings or mountain ravines and naturally in tunnels the GPS speedos tend to be WILDLY off.

Just going to pick up a spare entire harness on ebay, its cheaper than buying all new connectors to match up lol.

Well, it's done, a harness off a 2014 R3R is ordered :) I guess since I've started.... this is moving forward lol.
Spare Harness.jpg

Curious, what is your VIN?
And do you know the VIN of the bike this harness came off.

The harness in the pic appears to have the old 3 wire GPS plug (yellow circle)

(Also seem to be missing a front indicator plug lol (pink circle) )

20180713_085546.jpg

The only GPS system that I am aware of you can use - requires the use of so called DEAD RECKONING. This is a MIX of GPS and other sensors - The GPS basically re-calibrates the speed pulses. And if there is no GPS you still have a speedo. When I last looked there was only one company offering it - u-blox in Switzerland.

The problem with GPS speedos - ime (I have a GPS speedo fitted as a speed check device) - is that in narrow streets with tall buildings or mountain ravines and naturally in tunnels the GPS speedos tend to be WILDLY off.

No more wildly off than an old chronometric speedo that just sort of waves in the wind, I can get a warrant of fitness with that, and another mate used a digital bicycle speedo on a chop and THAT was OK! GPS speedo sorry no sir, go figure

This is all fun to read and I understand it but let’s say others don’t understand , why are you doing this and to gain what ? :):cautious:

I want full, unrestricted control of the engine.

The software we have is ok, at best. There are a lot of things we can’t adjust using TuneECU, TuneBoy, or PC-V.

It’s not an issue until you replace the stock injectors with bigger ones.

Things like:

- how fast the injector opens when voltage is applied to it, known as injector dead time
- acceleration enrichment, how much extra fuel is dumped when the throttle is opened quickly, and for how long
- ethanol content detection and compensation, allowing you to run e85 or e10, or anything in between with automatic adjustment
- datalogging triggered by condition e.g. any time throttle is over 80% datalog it
- really good auto-tune algorithms
- torque management, when it detects a gross mismatch in whee speed it will pull timing aka traction control
- launch control without using the secondaries to do it like Tuneboy uses

The list goes on and on.

I’m just sick of tuning using early 90s technology in 2018 :)

Back