Moving to a Standalone ECU

I've written the base Megasquirt tune file (.msq) for conversion. Making the jump this winter, I'm fed up with the Keihin and Dynojet solution. Will be starting the harness work after RAA West, in November, will document. Found a deal on the MSPro EVO and harness for $1,100 + $90 for the ignition module + $110 for the map/cam signal device. New MS software provides the following over the Keihin setup:

- REAL traction control, uses ABS sensors to detect wheel speed differential between front/rear in percent format. Will also function as wheelie control. Does it with a rapid acting progressive spark retard, so no big sudden loss of power, it just pulls enough to give you traction seamlessly from other people's reports and is always trying to give the power back as traction improves.

- 2 step launch control built in. Ermagherd a real launch control function paired with traction and wheelie control.... \\drool\\..

- Full IAVC stepper motor control. You can sets how fast it acts, how far it moves when activated, and how often it polls the RPM to determine required adjustments.

- Engine protect mode vs AFR. You can tell it to cut all spark or all fuel if something isn't right, so say you're ripping it at 100% and you get an unexpected lean spike at an RPM, it'll kill the engine until it falls below a set RPM to save itself, and illuminate a warning light to let you know it's in protect mode.

- Redline adjust vs coolant temp. You can set a redline curve, so you can limit RPM until the engine is warmed up. It also has a defeat setting, so if you need power for a safety reason, you can set a TPS percent to ignore the lowered redline and give you full power.

- Extremely good Wideband adjustment. It has better than factory long term trim ability to account for engine wear, injector wear, etc. It doesn't do the over/under swing around the AFR target set in the table like the PC-V AT does (AT is a fairly dumb, simple algorithm).

- Soft redline and hard redline. You set a hard cut redline, it'll stop the engine there (8500 for me), then set a soft redline so the engine doesn't slam into the redline as stock ECU does (8300 for me).

- Air temp, Barometric pressure and Coolant compensation for fueling. You can build your own fueling adjustment curves to account for heat soak and altitude.

- Long term high power mode. The ECU can be told to add fuel during times of sustained high power use. So for example, you're holding more than a preset throttle percent, say 90%. After a timer you set it'll progressively add fuel to keep the engine safe by cooling it with a little more fuel (you tell it how much fuel).

- Conditions triggered datalogging with built in SD card. You can tell the ECU to start logging any time throttle is over X% or over Y RPM. Perfect for someone who wants to keep a close eye on what the engine is doing.

- Cruise Control! You can use PWM to drive a PWM valve connected to the TBs to control speed. Not officially supported due to liability, but it can be done easily.

- Dwell control vs RPM or load: You can tell the ignition system to use a short dwell, say 1.5ms during cruise and light load, then ramp dwell progressively up to a user defined time, say 3ms, at high load/rpm to ensure you get extra strong spark when you actually need it, but then during cruise the coils stay nice and cool.

- WIFI connectivity with a dongle. This way you can just open the app on your phone, pull the logs, make the changes and never touch the bike or a connector, SO MUCH WIN.

- By cylinder fueling, by cylinder O2 sensor, by cylinder EGT sensing. If you want, you can tune each cylinder with its' own VE table using a sensor per cylinder.

- Flat shifting (quick shifter) fully programmable by RPM and Gear. Can directly control an air shifter as well. Compatible with the Dynojet strain shifter module that I already have.

- TONS of other things as well, but those are the highlights to me.

Last edited:
I've written the base Megasquirt tune file (.msq) for conversion. Making the jump this winter, I'm fed up with the Keihin and Dynojet solution. Will be starting the harness work after RAA West, in November, will document. Found a deal on the MSPro EVO and harness for $1,100 + $90 for the ignition module + $110 for the map/cam signal device. New MS software provides the following over the Keihin setup:

- REAL traction control, uses ABS sensors to detect wheel speed differential between front/rear in percent format. Will also function as wheelie control. Does it with a rapid acting progressive spark retard, so no bit loss of power, it just pulls enough to give you traction seamlessly from other people's reports.

- 2 step launch control built in. Ermagherd a real launch control function paired with traction and wheelie control.... \\drool\\..

- Full IAVC stepper motor control. You can sets how fast it acts, how far it moves when activated, and how often it polls the RPM to determine required adjustments.

- Engine protect mode vs AFR. You can tell it to cut all spark or all fuel if something isn't right, so say you're ripping it at 100% and you get an unexpected lean spike at an RPM, it'll kill the engine until it falls below a set RPM to save itself, and illuminate a warning light to let you know it's in protect mode.

- Redline adjust vs coolant temp. You can set a redline curve, so you can limit RPM until the engine is warmed up. It also has a defeat setting, so if you need power for a safety reason, you can set a TPS percent to ignore the lowered redline and give you full power.

- Extremely good Wideband adjustment. It has better than factory long term trim ability to account for engine wear, injector wear, etc. It doesn't do the over/under swing around the AFR target set in the table like the PC-V AT does (AT is a fairly dumb, simple algorithm).

- Soft redline and hard redline. You set a hard cut redline, it'll stop the engine there (8500 for me), then set a soft redline so the engine doesn't slam into the redline as stock ECU does (8300 for me).

- Air temp, Barometric pressure and Coolant compensation for fueling. You can build your own fueling adjustment curves to account for heat soak and altitude.

- Long term high power mode. The ECU can be told to add fuel during times of sustained high power use. So for example, you're holding more than a preset throttle percent, say 90%. After a timer you set it'll progressively add fuel to keep the engine safe by cooling it with a little more fuel (you tell it how much fuel).

- Conditions triggered datalogging with built in SD card. You can tell the ECU to start logging any time throttle is over X% or over Y RPM. Perfect for someone who wants to keep a close eye on what the engine is doing.

- Cruise Control! You can use PWM to drive a PWM valve connected to the TBs to control speed. Not officially supported due to liability, but it can be done easily.

- Dwell control vs RPM or load: You can tell the ignition system to use a short dwell, say 1.5ms during cruise and light load, then ramp dwell progressively up to a user defined time, say 3ms, at high load/rpm to ensure you get extra strong spark when you actually need it, but then during cruise the coils stay nice and cool.

- WIFI connectivity with a dongle. This way you can just open the app on your phone, pull the logs, make the changes and never touch the bike or a connector, SO MUCH WIN.

- By cylinder fueling, by cylinder O2 sensor, by cylinder EGT sensing. If you want, you can tune each cylinder with its' own VE table using a sensor per cylinder.

- TONS of other things as well, but those are the highlights to me.
Can it make coffee?

Back