Moving to a Standalone ECU

Right, so this is not abandoned, it is however, on long term hold. I've been drawn into another venture which will be delaying my plans for the second rocket and standalone retrofit.

Some enterprising individual figured out how to determine ignition timing using the map signal, like triumph does.

This work has eliminated the requirement for a cam position sensor on the R3 going to standalone, which means... swapping to a megasquirt is only an exercise in wiring and adding a quad spark ignitor and schmitt-trigger, all other sensors are suitable now from the factory.

To do so, #2 and #3 vacuum signals need to be removed and plugged. Then #1 signal is clean to the MS and it can identify #1 intake stroke by the dip in map signal every 720 degrees, wala cam sensor free fully sequential fuel and spark.

Megasquirt 3X I'm looking at you :p. Need to find a suitable gauge cluster now.

Better yet, I found a relatively inexpensive purpose built microcontroller that does the cam position signal output and cleans up the MAP signal to the ECU.

QuadraMAP

In case anyone was wondering why this is complicated, and the cam sensor issue being solved is so awesome.

To fire in sequential the ECU needs to know two things, where the crank is in its rotation, and whether the #1 piston is at TDC on intake stroke or TDC on compression stroke. The crank sensor tackles crank position, cam sensor tackles which TDC in relation to the cams.

To run on wasted spark, the engine design must have opposing pairs of cylinders to fire the spark into 360 degrees from each other. In this way, 1 cylinder is firing when you want it to initiate the power stroke, and the 360 out cylinder fires at the same time, but it's at the very end of the exhaust stroke, this the name, wasted spark.

You cannot run wasted spark on an engine where the cylinders are seperated by 120 degrees, as our engines are. We don't have a cam sensor, so at first glance the only option is add a cam sensor. This solves that with no engine modifications, a much more elegant solution.

My Autotune, POD-300, and QS will be up for sale after RAA West in Leakey, going to make the jump this winter to the MS3X.

Back