Moving to a Standalone ECU

I’ve run into the first mechanical challenge.

Our crank is a 120 crank and ignition fires every 240 crank degrees so...

With only the crank signal, the only option is multi point injection, meaning it injects “X” number of times (X set by user), over a single 720 cycle.

Ignition can be setup to fire every 120, in this way it would fire at strange event timing throughout the cycle.

My concern is that one of those sparks will be going off part way through the compression cycle and there may be enough fuel (which is squirting throughout the cycle) to ignite when it shouldn’t.

Clearly that’s not a desirable scenario so....

Adding a single magnet to a CAM gear and adding a Hall effect sensor to the valve conver (front flat area), will allow the ECU to know where TDC following compression stroke is for #1 cylinder. From there the ECU works out the other ignition events for #2 and #3. As a result I can now run full sequential injection and ignition.

Thankfully, this isn’t a deal breaker, mounting the Hall sensor is easy and a non-issue. On the other hand, mounting the magnet on the intake cam gear, may be an issue.

I’m thinking this part through.

My first idea is a hole in the cam gear, 50 degrees before TDC (as installed, 50 specified as optimal by Haltech). Countersink the hole on the cam side of the cam gear. Use a small countersunk titanium bolt (M4 or M5) and a small magnet bonded to a locknut which goes on the non cam side of the gear, obviously red locktite here and significant torque.

Install a matching Ti countersunk bolt and nut 180 opposite the magnet to keep the gear in balance.

Measure, drill, and tap a hole in the valve conver that aligns with the radius of rotation of the magnet for the Hall sensor. Rotate motor so the magnet is aligned just below the tip of the Hall sensor. Screw in hall sensor until it “just” touches the magnet, back it off 1mm. Install lock nut with red locktite on Hall sensor and peen into place.

Bobs yer uncle, working cam sensor.

Thoughts?
Ive been following your latest project with interest Rob,
Instead of a Hall sensor You could use a cherry sensor (Haltech have them) and extend a cam retaining bolt and use that as a trigger, setup as you described above........

Ive been following your latest project with interest Rob,
Instead of a Hall sensor You could use a cherry sensor (Haltech have them) and extend a cam retaining bolt and use that as a trigger, setup as you described above........

More to ponder, good thing I've given myself an extended goal date to first fire up the 2nd rocket... 3 July 2019.

MUFASA is going back together as it was, getting tuned, and kept as a "finshed" example.

I should add, for SCAR, the 2nd bike, I have some very very specific goals for, to be revealed later, but, my aim is to permanently secure it a place in history.

Last edited:
Oh nice find!!

Stock Cam gear bolts are M6x1x12 that one is perfect once 12mm have been removed from it!

I'm all for not having to do modification to the rotating assembly if not required

Oh nice find!!
Stock Cam gear bolts are M6x1x12 that one is perfect once 12mm have been removed from it!
I'm all for not having to do modification to the rotating assembly if not required
I doubt they are 12.9 though. or even 8.8.

Being next to one exploding thing should be considered enough!.

Magnet-Screw_2-2_22-600x600.jpg

I doubt they are 12.9 though. or even 8.8.

Being next to one exploding thing should be considered enough!.

Magnet-Screw_2-2_22-600x600.jpg

The stock bolt isn't a high grade either.

This does however, give me an idea, and I can just make my own and avoid having to muck about with the balance of the cam gear. Epoxy the magnet in, then peen the edge over so it's impossible for it to dislodge.

Awesome, #1 problem... solved.

Remaining items are seriously trivial next to this simple one honestly.

Curious, what is your VIN?
And do you know the VIN of the bike this harness came off.

The harness in the pic appears to have the old 3 wire GPS plug (yellow circle)

(Also seem to be missing a front indicator plug lol (pink circle) )

20180713_085546.jpg
God mate - you must be bored to have noticed that.

More for the bored sleuth!;)
14 Triumph Rocket III 3 2300 Roadster wire wiring harness loom | eBay

Here is a 2015 to compare:
Triumph Rocket 3 2300 2015 5,717 miles Wiring loom harness , Complete | eBay

Last edited:
I can see somebody having to buy fur coats or some jewellery soon.
I have fox, mink, beaver, rabbit and muskrat for the lady to choose from, stoles or coats.
Maybe an Ocelot, Lizard or Crocodile handbag and a pair of French pearlshell opera glasses to go with it.

We cater for all needs at the R&B shop. ;):D

Back