Moving to a Standalone ECU

Thanks Ken!!!!

The voltage range was helpful as well.

What I’m think is, I’ll see if I can source compatible connectors to the stock harness so it’s plug and play.

Now I need to learn the new software, it’s vastly more complicated than in 2004, last time I worked with megasquirt.

Here’s some interesting math:
MS3 Gold + 8 foot universal harness + LC2 Wideband - $1,010

PC-V + AT + POD-300 - $800 (best prices I could find but can be more than $1,000, vendor dependent).

Gauges are where the cost can really skyrocket depending on what route you take.

I’m sure someone who knows CAN technology could get the stock gauges to play nice, I’m not even going to try.

I’m sure someone who knows CAN technology could get the stock gauges to play nice, I’m not even going to try.
I seem to remember Motogadget pretty much saying the same thing. They did resolve it for some Triumphs though.

Is the MS3X OBD compliant for diagnostics? - that would open the gates somewhat!

I seem to remember Motogadget pretty much saying the same thing. They did resolve it for some Triumphs though...
Other way round though - they were taking the Triumph signals and decoding, rather than encoding for CANBUS insturments

Chris, his question was on how to interface NON-CANBUS signals to the OEM CANBUS instruments
Also need to recognize that CANBUS is a general protocol - encoding of the actual signal will be specific to application; hence why Motogadget Motoscope Pro works directly with BMW but requires a go-between to first decode then re-code the Triumph signals.
For the situation being considered nothing from motogadget is any help.
What would be required is simply non-CANBUS instruments and fed directly from sensors.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't specify this, MS3 Gold can do CAN signaling :p I just don't know how the triumph components want the signal, how to CAN, how CAN is formatted etc, and frankly, its cheaper to buy gauges and replace them, when you factor in time.

As I said, it's not worth all the time in doing it, ill just buy non OEM Gauges.

Last edited:
Where to source all the random Rocket connectors on the harness?

WHY EBAY OF COURSE :)

Just going to pick up a spare entire harness on ebay, its cheaper than buying all new connectors to match up lol.

Well, it's done, a harness off a 2014 R3R is ordered :) I guess since I've started.... this is moving forward lol.
Spare Harness.jpg

Last edited:
For the situation being considered nothing from motogadget is any help.
That was sort of what I was trying to say. I see the same sort of thing at work EVERY DAY. PC network:RJ45 connectors. IP phone network:RJ45 connectors. You can guess. The fact the plugs and sockets are labelled seems not to matter. Apparently IP and DECT phones are btw the same but with different plugs. No really - The cleaning lady said so. Guess why I want to retire.

Back