Mobil Heavy Duty Coolant?

dobro

Supercharged
Ride
2011 R3T
Are you aware of reasons against using Mobil Heavy Duty Coolant (not Delvac) in a Rocket? It appears to have exceptional anti-corrosion properties.

From my understanding any antifreeze can be used as long as it has anti-corrosion properties and mixed with distilled water at a 50/50 ratio. Isn't Mobil what the factory puts in their motorcycles? It's blue instead of red or green.

I wouldn't go mixing any anti freeze in our engines unless they are confirmed compatible. The anti freeze recommended for my bike from the manual is Triumph HD4X Hybrid OAT coolant (where the heck do you get that?). That's an HOAT coolant (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology). I found some at Walmart, Zerex G-05 which is an HOAT coolant. This should work with our engines.

Not all anti freeze is compatible. Mixing coolant types can cause big problems with gelling, causing plugging radiator cores and reducing heat transfer. Save yourself from some future headaches and purchase compatible coolant. 50 50 mix with water is good or just purchase premixed which will protect to -37C

I flushed mine with water several times and then added the coolant and flushed some more and then topped it off.
I'm using the Toyota Red after researching the specs and because it is easy to get in oz.

I don't know any reasons against using it; I am asking if others do.

It sounded like you had heard of problems. It is the OEM coolant that Triumph recommend but not available in my neck of the woods. Its blue/green depending on the light.

But I doubt its going to be any better than the other well know brands that meet the specs.

I flushed mine with water several times and then added the coolant and flushed some more and then topped it off.
I'm using the Toyota Red after researching the specs and because it is easy to get in oz.

It sounded like you had heard of problems. It is the OEM coolant that Triumph recommend but not available in my neck of the woods. Its blue/green depending on the light.

But I doubt its going to be any better than the other well know brands that meet the specs.

My main concern is that the Mobil Heavy Duty is low-silicates instead of no-silicates. That might be ok but I don't know. Other than that, I think a heavy duty coolant would be good because of the high concentration of anti-corrosive additives. I also think that the safe route is to flush out your system, as zimtiff did, and start new instead of mixing coolants if you have any doubt about their compatibility or mixed effectiveness.

Told to never mix coolants .. flush and replace. Not as if it's expensive or even a time consuming task.

I bought mine at a Honda shop, it's not supposed to have any silicates. I've read not to put even "low silicates" in our bikes due to it causing water pump seal failures.

Last edited:
Back