RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Riding back to my inland home from the beach two days ago the temp was 105 + at my house. Within a few miles of my home after traveling approximately 50 miles from the beach, where I am guesing temps were near 90, my engine was so hot I had to spread my legs (very un-lady-like) at a 90 degree angle away from the tank to prevent my cajones from becoming Rocky Mountain Oysters. ready for serving. This has never happened before. A couple questions: 1. Coolant type/brand recommendation? And 2: Is there a coolant temp gauge that would work on my '06 Classic? is there a radiator cap with a built in gauge or a handlebar gauge available, how hard to install? Thanks for your thoughts.

PS: what is the proper temp range for the coolant?

Last edited:
Riding back to my inland home from the beach two days ago the temp was 105 + at my house. Within a few miles of my home after traveling approximately 50 miles from the beach, where I am guesing temps were near 90, my engine was so hot I had to spread my legs (very un-lady-like) at a 90 degree angle away from the tank to prevent my cajones from becoming Rocky Mountain Oysters. ready for serving. This has never happened before. A couple questions: 1. Coolant type/brand recommendation? And 2: Is there a coolant temp gauge that would work on my '06 Classic? is there a radiator cap with a built in gauge or a handlebar gauge available, how hard to install? Thanks for your thoughts.

I used one of these for temp, volts & even dose mph or kmph. Just plugs into you obd (ecu) plug under your seat.
Works great 👌🚀😎

Attachments

• 20220817_161533.jpg
    20220817_161533.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220817_161250.jpg
    20220817_161250.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 25

I had heat issues when I first got my '14 R3T. With TuneECU the tech lowered the temp at which the fan turns on and then flushed the system and put in Ready to Use 'EngineIce'. I've been using it ever since and been very happy with the results.
-MIG

My service manual says the radiator cap is pressure rated for 1.2 Bar and the thermostat is rated for 88 C. Are these parts the same as we'd find at an auto parts store for cars or are these items a different size on our Rockets?

Changed my coolant yesterday with Zerex HOAT per Triumph specs. Took lots more time than expected with removing radiator shrouds, prying the water pump hose off, drain screw, cap screw, (sheesh, deep sixing that little bugger). Anyway, tigtened hose and drain screw back up and figured out a way to "loosen" bleed screw above thermostat before filling. Filling took longer than anything else, pour a little, wait, pour a little, wait and on and on. Ordered Etekcity Infrared thermometer. Today I ran the bike at idle for 15-20 minutes. The fan cycled on and off a half dozen or more times. Gauge coolant LED never lit. Temp ranges, after warming up, were roughly these: Radiator back side 190-210 F, Thermostat housing 190-210 F, oil tank exterior 180 F, interior 185 F, inside muffler outlets 90F, and exhaust headers above and behind shields.....front cylinder 390-410 F, middle cylinder, 450-550 F and back cylinder 390-410 F. I could hold my hand a couple inches away from the exhaust heat shields without undue discomfort. It was 90 F in my garage. I had a fan blowing towards the front of the radiator to mimic the bike moving through the air. @TURBO200R4, are these temps , "normal"? The header temps are scary. Why is the middle cylinder header up to 140 F hotter?

(my theory is the middle exhaust header is trapped between the front and back header and thereby gets more heat.)

Last edited:
Changed my coolant yesterday with Zerex HOAT per Triumph specs. Took lots more time than expected with removing radiator shrouds, prying the water pump hose off, drain screw, cap screw, (sheesh, deep sixing that little bugger). Anyway, tigtened hose and drain screw back up and figured out a way to "loosen" bleed screw above thermostat before filling. Filling took longer than anything else, pour a little, wait, pour a little, wait and on and on. Ordered Etekcity Infrared thermometer. Today I ran the bike at idle for 15-20 minutes. The fan cycled on and off a half dozen or more times. Gauge coolant LED never lit. Temp ranges, after warming up, were roughly these: Radiator back side 190-210 F, Thermostat housing 190-210 F, oil tank exterior 180 F, interior 185 F, inside muffler outlets 90F, and exhaust headers above and behind shields.....front cylinder 390-410 F, middle cylinder, 450-550 F and back cylinder 390-410 F. I could hold my hand a couple inches away from the exhaust heat shields without undue discomfort. It was 90 F in my garage. I had a fan blowing towards the front of the radiator to mimic the bike moving through the air. @TURBO200R4, are these temps , "normal"? The header temps are scary. Why is the middle cylinder header up to 140 F hotter?

(my theory is the middle exhaust header is trapped between the front and back header and thereby gets more heat.)

I would say all test normal
i think my headers were around 640 at the heads. i think some are much hotter.
i dont remember the oil tank temp. but 180-185 sounds good.

Back