Oldman68

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster Red Haze
I'm looking to change my coolant soon for my 2012 Roadster so looking for the correct replacement and it seems that Triumph have changed the type used since the bike was purchased. I haven't looked at the colour of what in there at the moment but I think it's Blue looking at the header tank and what I can see on the internet they have changed it to an Orange and they cannot be mixed so the engine has to be flushed out is that correct !!.

These days I wouldn't guarantee color as a compatibility test. That said, at the recommendation of my mechanic when I got my '14 R3T new, I use Engine Ice and it made a positive difference. I've been using it ever since. Regardless of coolant compatibility, I recommend you flush the engine before adding in new coolant.
-MIG

Been using this 10 years/5 changes no problems

Triumph uses a HOAT coolant type. It can be any colour so don't use that to determine compatibility. I have used Zerex G-05 in the gold bottle for years. If the coolant brand has HOAT stamped somewhere on the bottle, I would use it. Make sure you purchase the 50/50 premix and not the concentrate unless you know how to dilute. If you do go with a brand with a different chemical makeup, make sure you flush your engine and rad of the old stuff. Mixing incompatible brands can gunk up your cooling system.

As others have said, unless you can be 100% sure the technology (OAT, HOAT, etc), play it safe and flush before filling.

As you probably know, certain technology’s don’t go well together and form a gel like deposit in the cooling system which is a nightmare to remove!

Back