ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
Over the past year I've made what I believe to be an absolutely accurate observation regarding the R3T and it's fuel mileage.

The Touring is VERY sensitive to the windscreen being used. I've documented the fact that using the short screen supplied with he bike will yield between 2.5 and 6 MPG more than when the Tall screen is used. I didn't believe this myself, however, I've now documented the fact on my bike, where no changes of any sort have been made except for the swapping out of the screen. Mine went from averaging about 33 MPG with the tall screen to nearly 39 with the shorter screen. The difference is most pronounced between 50 - 70 MPH, where I can now get nearly 40 MPG on a regular basis.

Running TORS with stock filter and TORS map. No other engine mods. Metzeler ME 880's at 38/F-40/R. Bike runs very strong - at least for me.

If this has been observed by others and previously posted here, I apologize.

That is a really interesting observation. I've always attributed by poor mileage to the filters/Jardines/tune, but as I recall I switched to the taller screen around the same time I started doing the power upgrades.

I'm going to have to swap back to the short one and see how much of a difference it makes.

Thanks for posting!!

I have managed to do just over 44 MPG (imperial gallons), but I didn't get this bike to get good consumption! :D

I get less wind buffeting on the rocket than my faired Suzuki Bandit, and at 6ft 4ins I'm hardly short.

I always knew there was a good reason for not having a huge screen spoiling the look of it.

I have never actually calculated my mileage; just estimated quick in my head to get ball-park mileage. Its always been about 33mpg. Thats just me on the bike with the summer windscreen, or me and my girl friend w/ screen, or me, the girl, the trailer loaded up and the screen. City or highway.

Only once did I get better than roughly 33mpg, and that was the first day I had the bike. It turned in about 40mpg that day.

It will be interesting to see what my triple K&N's, Power Commander V, and Auto Tune net me for mileage after a few weeks of riding to let the Auto Tune do its thing. Hopefully I don't loose to much.

Sometimes I miss my 03 Sprint ST and its 50mpg......

I have an unused summer screen from my '07 Standard for sale if anyone is in need.:cool:

I have seen over 40 mpg on a tank out in Sturgis last year running with a full fairing.. I find that steady riding I get high 30s with the fairing and it was no change from no windshield at all. This was a stock exhaust and filter. With all in town riding I get in the upper 20s..

I in fact have two windshields both heights and it didn't effect MPG when I ran either of those.

Anyone interested in either shields let me know.. I don't need them anymore..

Back