LSR Turbo Rocket III, part two

Pics of the rods and pistons... Pistons were off the shelf Carpenter turbo spec, and I sent them to Swain for TBC coatings. The rods were a custom affair from CP: I told them 9500 rpm and 500hp max, and this is what the came up with. :) I'd say the thickness on the beam flanges is quite a bit thicker than I'm used to seeing on most CP rods.
Spun rod bearing?

Spun rod bearing?
Yeeaaa... lack of oil pressure. Let's just say that figuring out turbo drains and and crankcase venting issues on a 9500rpm rocket iii with a remote mounted turbo leaves little room for error. Also, it's rather tough to find a place to put a proper oil pressure gauge on this motor.......

And seeing as how I can order in sets of 4, I now have TWO good sets of rods. Hooray. :)

Yeeaaa... lack of oil pressure. Let's just say that figuring out turbo drains and and crankcase venting issues on a 9500rpm rocket iii with a remote mounted turbo leaves little room for error. Also, it's rather tough to find a place to put a proper oil pressure gauge on this motor.......

And seeing as how I can order in sets of 4, I now have TWO good sets of rods. Hooray. :)

I think u can take an oil switch
And remove the switch part then braze enough to tap a thread then put on your gauge

I think u can take an oil switch
And remove the switch part then braze enough to tap a thread then put on your gauge
I had to make an adapter there to feed the turbo oil, but that adapter is a nightmare. It's in a tight spot for the frame, but it's also a banjo bolt affair... I made a female-to-male banjo to banjo adapter for the old switch, but the gauge cluster I had didn't support the light. That's all going away and I'm going to just machine up a proper steel banjo-to-npt adapter for the turbo feed and new oil pressure sensor.

I had to make an adapter there to feed the turbo oil, but that adapter is a nightmare. It's in a tight spot for the frame, but it's also a banjo bolt affair... I made a female-to-male banjo to banjo adapter for the old switch, but the gauge cluster I had didn't support the light. That's all going away and I'm going to just machine up a proper steel banjo-to-npt adapter for the turbo feed and new oil pressure sensor.

for what it is worth
a loss of oil pressure on either motor or turbo would result in loss of the other component.
i had the pleasure of building a transmission (c4 ford) for a guy that was shifting at 9000 rpm he went through plantarys like crazy
i think what was happing was at that rpm (9000) it would sling all the atf off the parts

It's catastrophic, for sure. I believe it lost pressure briefly around 8500rpm, and caught the bearing. once they spin just a little bit, they block the rod/main oil passage and just continue to get worse. The engine had very little run time on it, and I caught the noise it before it nuked anything else.... some good luck in a sea of bad.

Just reading about your project and it is exciting. I will be back on August 22nd and hopefully if your still going the Idaho Red Rocket and I can pop down for a couple days. Do you know your dates you we down there running?

I'm assuming you are running at the Speed Trials between August 27 to September 1st?

I've run Speed Week 2011,2013,2017,2019 and 2021 and the Speed Trials just once in 2016 but we ran three bikes which kept me busy switching bikes.

If you get in a pinch a need a rider or backup let me know, I would like to break 200 mph soundly my best so far is 196 mph.

Good luck

We'll be running Speedweek first (Aug 6-12), then BMST (27-1st). We have 2-3 bikes we run... 2 pushrod bikes and the Triumph... so long as nothing goes terribly wrong. We're up to 3 people as of now for BMST, so we should be good on manpower, but feel free to swing by and grab a beer/water if you catch us not moving at some point. :)

We'll be running Speedweek first (Aug 6-12), then BMST (27-1st). We have 2-3 bikes we run... 2 pushrod bikes and the Triumph... so long as nothing goes terribly wrong. We're up to 3 people as of now for BMST, so we should be good on manpower, but feel free to swing by and grab a beer/water if you catch us not moving at some point. :)
I've run three bikes and that keeps you real busy. I'll be out on a Colorado during Speed Week but maybe we can pop down during the Speed Trials for a day and takes some video and pictures. There always seems something going wrong out there, just the nature of it.

Back