LSR Turbo Rocket III, part two

Pics of the rods and pistons... Pistons were off the shelf Carpenter turbo spec, and I sent them to Swain for TBC coatings. The rods were a custom affair from CP: I told them 9500 rpm and 500hp max, and this is what the came up with. :) I'd say the thickness on the beam flanges is quite a bit thicker than I'm used to seeing on most CP rods.

Attachments

• 20210514_195855.jpg
    20210514_195855.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210528_164400.jpg
    20210528_164400.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210514_195905.jpg
    20210514_195905.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
@Justdad and his team will be there also. my tuner has been and were super pumped to go and run a rocket. Thanks for sharing youlls adventures at LSR, a great benefit of knowledge youll are giving. really appreciate it as this is my dream to achieve also.
Outstanding! Hopefully they come by and say hi at some point when we aren't scrambling from bike to bike. :) We will be in the big yellow Diamond T box truck with a couple of absolutely looney turbo Harleys somewhere in the area....

Little exhaust ****.... should be pretty loud with that distinctive stainless ring. I've always told people it sounds like a forklift dropped out of an airplane when it's WFO in boost. My buddy was just screwing around when he turned the pipe up (we are going to run it straight out through the back fairing when it goes on)...... but my inner hoodlum really likes the high pipe look. :)

Attachments

• High Pipe.jpg
    High Pipe.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 53
  • straight pipe.jpg
    straight pipe.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
This is the coolest thing around here! Are you going to run the Avons?
I did last year, but the MPH will be too high to run them this year (hopefully). I have a set of Dunlop Qualifiers (the 3's, I think...) on there now that I have a 17" rear wheel. If it starts setting records over 200 I'll probably have to move to a slick (well, a non-DOT race tire.... and that's pretty much a slick).

Last edited:
We were out there at 2021 Speed Week on the @Justdad Team 21. We did all our runs on course 2. I did not see the Turbo Rocket out there. Did I miss it ? I did see a yellow funny looking truck just a few pits down from ours. Went over there a few times to visit but never saw anybody there.
Did the Turbo Rocket run ? How did it do ?
DSCN7808.JPG

DSCN7810.JPG

DSCN7830.JPG

20210807_145209.jpg

Last edited:
We were out there at 2021 Speed Week on the @Justdad Team 21. We did all our runs on course 2. I did not see the Turbo Rocket out there. Did I miss it ? I did see a yellow funny looking truck just a few pits down from ours. Went over there a few times to visit but never saw anybody there.
Did the Turbo Rocket run ? How did it do ?
DSCN7808.JPG

DSCN7810.JPG

DSCN7830.JPG

20210807_145209.jpg
It was a rough year! Jay had pneumonia and we spent 99% of Speed Week laid up in the Red Garter nursing him back to health! That was a bad time to be walking around with a respiratory illness, if you do recall.

Sadly, the bike did not make it out to speedweek. The OEM ECU started quit on me after about half a dozen reflashes about 3 days before we left, so I was out that. I sold a kidney and did a M1 series MoTec to make it out for the BMST event... came home, wired the whole set up and tuned it in under 2 weeks, and the ****er spun a rod bearing on the dyno the day before I left. I have to eat the responsibility for that one, as I ****ed some things up with the oiling system while trying to thrash it together between meets. Very expensive lesson there. She will be out this year though... so long as nothing dumb happens again.

I've been remiss in my updating duties, but life has been busy keeping me humble in new endeavors. Not always a pleasant or affordable thing, that.

That being said, here are some LSR updates for this year... hopefully out on the Salt for SpeedWeek and BMST this year. Adding a little fairing for the MPS class; maybe see some 200+ mph fun. :)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 9
Back