Lower Timing Chain Blew-up!!!!!!!

there is not real legit short cuts except for covering the fender with a towel and being carfull not to scratch it. This will save you from pulling the wheel brakes and fender. Radiaotr has to be drained and pulled off along with the water pump. You can basically follow the manual. You will need the alignment tool for the cam timing. Make sure all slack is removerd from the chain on the non tensioner side.

lower timing chain ?

I have 80k on my 05 r3 have been in the motor twice. Im just wondering what the LOWER timing chain is. I also feel the motor is much louder than before. The local shop seems to think it's nothing. One chain does it all. clue me in I don't like feeling lost in rocketville :eek:

Guess i was lucky , replaced the timing chain in mine at 96,000 klms. Was told i'd need to replace chain adjuster and bottom sprocket but both were fine. Bolted it all back together .. rattle gone.

Timing Chain

Had this happen on my 05 with 7k on it . Crankshaft sprocket split in half. Triumph completley rebuilt engine.2pistons, 6valves chain&sprocket ,crankshaft,counterballancer.No charge

I have 80k on my 05 r3 have been in the motor twice. Im just wondering what the LOWER timing chain is. I also feel the motor is much louder than before. The local shop seems to think it's nothing. One chain does it all. clue me in I don't like feeling lost in rocketville :eek:

Tiumph calls for timing chian replacement at 70,000 miles. they sell it as a kit two cam gears, lower crank gear and timing chain. You will need to look at the guide tensioner side to see if its worn enough plus to see if you have th eright one or newest one sold in the update kits.

Tiumph calls for timing chian replacement at 70,000 miles. they sell it as a kit two cam gears, lower crank gear and timing chain. You will need to look at the guide tensioner side to see if its worn enough plus to see if you have th eright one or newest one sold in the update kits.

Pretty sure it wasn't sold to me as a kit mate.. each part had an individual part number and a couple of bits had to be ordered in from the UK. In the end i returned a few of the parts i didn't need to replace .. jumped up and down and got a refund.

Pretty sure it wasn't sold to me as a kit mate.. each part had an individual part number and a couple of bits had to be ordered in from the UK. In the end i returned a few of the parts i didn't need to replace .. jumped up and down and got a refund.

Yes when I first bought mine I bought them seperate because I do not use the crank gear. Mine uses a special blower drive sproket. But lately the guys like lester532 who did have been doing theirs found out they sell them as kits now. Of course if they would not have told me I still would be buying the stuff seperate. Other then the chain evreything else both cam gears are slotted and like I said the lower sproket is different. So buying single is better for me.

Mine too!

First I ride a 2011 R3R with 16 k on the odometer. Love the bike and it's incredible power.

Yesterday on my ride home from work in the middle of southern california high desert, the bike suddenly made a loud horrible noise which sounded like a chain breaking and thrown into a blender. The bike began to wobble and I hit the kill switch while bring the beast to a stop. It was obvious even to some one like myself who has ridden for 40 years but is not mechanic other than routine maintance that something catostrohic had occrred. A small amound of coolant leaked out on the shoulder of the road where the bike came to rest. :(

Approx 6 months ago I took it to a Triumph dealer in San Bernardino for a Strange "Rattle Can" noise from the motor. They kept the bike for three weeks and told me they could not hear the noise. They assured me that since it was apparently intermittent that it wasn't serious and was good to go.

Two Months ago I took it to my dealership in Orange County California for the same problem. I shared the Knowledge I had aquired here on this R3 Owners site with them concerning the timeing Chain and pre cam tensioners. They kept the bike one week and called said it was ready to be picked up, Awsome!

Signed all the papers and was off, I didn't make it two blocks and I quickly realized the bike was not fixed. I returned and asked the Service Manager to listen to the bike. He couldn't hear it. I asked him to ride the bike as it's much louder on deceleration. he rode it and claimed he still could not hear it, "Don't hate me but I can't hear it". REALLY!

Tomorrow Saturday I'm trailering the bike back to them. The bike is still on warranty so I'm interested to see what they say now. I wonder, if the bike was not on warranty if their hearing would improve.

As I said I love the Bike, I've rode for 40 years now and it's definitly one of a kind. However I'm concerned that either their Mechanic's go Conveniently hearing impaired on warranty repairs which would be caused by insufficient support to the dealers by Triumph for warranty issues or The Mechanics don't know as much as the owners on this site. Possibly a little a little of both.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences a knowledge it's been very helpful. I will keep you posted as to the dealers response.

First I ride a 2011 R3R with 16 k on the odometer. Love the bike and it's incredible power.

Yesterday on my ride home from work in the middle of southern california high desert, the bike suddenly made a loud horrible noise which sounded like a chain breaking and thrown into a blender. The bike began to wobble and I hit the kill switch while bring the beast to a stop. It was obvious even to some one like myself who has ridden for 40 years but is not mechanic other than routine maintance that something catostrohic had occrred. A small amound of coolant leaked out on the shoulder of the road where the bike came to rest. :(

Approx 6 months ago I took it to a Triumph dealer in San Bernardino for a Strange "Rattle Can" noise from the motor. They kept the bike for three weeks and told me they could not hear the noise. They assured me that since it was apparently intermittent that it wasn't serious and was good to go.

Two Months ago I took it to my dealership in Orange County California for the same problem. I shared the Knowledge I had aquired here on this R3 Owners site with them concerning the timeing Chain and pre cam tensioners. They kept the bike one week and called said it was ready to be picked up, Awsome!

Signed all the papers and was off, I didn't make it two blocks and I quickly realized the bike was not fixed. I returned and asked the Service Manager to listen to the bike. He couldn't hear it. I asked him to ride the bike as it's much louder on deceleration. he rode it and claimed he still could not hear it, "Don't hate me but I can't hear it". REALLY!

Tomorrow Saturday I'm trailering the bike back to them. The bike is still on warranty so I'm interested to see what they say now. I wonder, if the bike was not on warranty if their hearing would improve.

As I said I love the Bike, I've rode for 40 years now and it's definitly one of a kind. However I'm concerned that either their Mechanic's go Conveniently hearing impaired on warranty repairs which would be caused by insufficient support to the dealers by Triumph for warranty issues or The Mechanics don't know as much as the owners on this site. Possibly a little a little of both.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences a knowledge it's been very helpful. I will keep you posted as to the dealers response.

Well Rocketeer, I surely hope the valves did not get bent from colliding with the pistons. Of course if it under warrantee you should be alright. If they actually figure out the tensiner failed and want to know a way they can stop that you can tell them you know a Dumb Polock who figured this out years ago. They or Triumph can contact me and I will be happy to share the information with them so this does not happen to other Rockets. Oh and the same tensioner is used on the 1050 motors also. My mod will work well On them. Of course they might be hard to convince but if they are interested I am here to help.

The easy way to help them with there hearing is grab the **** by the throat and slap them on the side of the head 7 times as hard as you can. Don't go more than7 slaps as that will just be being aggressive. When you finish grab there next bloke and ask him if his hearing is any better than the last bloke before he takes a listen. Generally speaking the second or third bloke will hear it. If you get to the fourth, I advise leaving the store and trying another dealer.

Back