Intermittent Dash Failure at Start Up

mcather

Supercharged
Ride
08 GL1800, 13 R3T, 80 LTD 1000, 70 BSA Lightning
Hi Gang,
I've had Intermittent Dash Failure at Start Up on my 2013 R3T lately where I turn the key on and get nothing.
Turn key off and back on and most times it comes right back on. Everything works 9 out of 10 times.
I'm afraid to ride it and get stranded. A few times I've thumped the chrome dash and it comes on.
I have cleaned and tighten the battery terminals, had the key switch replace over a year ago. There could be a
loose wire down towards the middle underneath the tank as that's where I thump it. I'm going to raise the tank
and check the dash plug and see if I can replicate the problem.

I'm just asking if there are any suggestions on where to look other than the plug.
The only problems I've had with the bike in 8 years have been electrical switch stuff.
I need to sell the bike since I have cancer and treatments have destroyed my
strength and it's a battle for me to ride such a big bike now.

Thanks for any input,
MrCatMan

Hi Gang,
I've had Intermittent Dash Failure at Start Up on my 2013 R3T lately where I turn the key on and get nothing.
Turn key off and back on and most times it comes right back on. Everything works 9 out of 10 times.
I'm afraid to ride it and get stranded. A few times I've thumped the chrome dash and it comes on.
I have cleaned and tighten the battery terminals, had the key switch replace over a year ago. There could be a
loose wire down towards the middle underneath the tank as that's where I thump it. I'm going to raise the tank
and check the dash plug and see if I can replicate the problem.

I'm just asking if there are any suggestions on where to look other than the plug.
The only problems I've had with the bike in 8 years have been electrical switch stuff.
I need to sell the bike since I have cancer and treatments have destroyed my
strength and it's a battle for me to ride such a big bike now.

Thanks for any input,
MrCatMan
Since you've looked at battery terminals , I would check all terminal going to the center dash board & to the different relays . Sometimes just pulling them off & putting them back in gets rid of a sometime gremlins .

Back