Lower Timing Chain Blew-up!!!!!!!

The easy way to help them with there hearing is grab the **** by the throat and slap them on the side of the head 7 times as hard as you can. Don't go more than7 slaps as that will just be being aggressive. When you finish grab there next bloke and ask him if his hearing is any better than the last bloke before he takes a listen. Generally speaking the second or third bloke will hear it. If you get to the fourth, I advise leaving the store and trying another dealer.

Oh they will hear it now because if the tensioner let loose and the the pistons and valves did not collide they will most likely sit there and turn the bike over trying to start it until the hit the pistons and well when that happens valves tend to break off and really rattle as the smack the head. Leave beauty marks in the head also.
In the picture below you can see how bad the #3 cylinder valves bent

Look on the matte in front of the head :eek:

mine too!

Well Rocketeer, I surely hope the valves did not get bent from colliding with the pistons. Of course if it under warrantee you should be alright. If they actually figure out the tensiner failed and want to know a way they can stop that you can tell them you know a Dumb Polock who figured this out years ago. They or Triumph can contact me and I will be happy to share the information with them so this does not happen to other Rockets. Oh and the same tensioner is used on the 1050 motors also. My mod will work well On them. Of course they might be hard to convince but if they are interested I am here to help.
Warp Aerospace Division

Well Rocketeer, I surely hope the valves did not get bent from colliding with the pistons. Of course if it under warrantee you should be alright. If they actually figure out the tensiner failed and want to know a way they can stop that you can tell them you know a Dumb Polock who figured this out years ago. They or Triumph can contact me and I will be happy to share the information with them so this does not happen to other Rockets. Oh and the same tensioner is used on the 1050 motors also. My mod will work well On them. Of course they might be hard to convince but if they are interested I am here to help.
Warp Aerospace Division
So, I took to the Rocket in on Saturday, and the service Manager was not there. The service writer remembered the entire conversation regarding "I can't hear it" . I told him clearly, not as clearly as "Ponters" recomended, as I Live in the "The Peoples Communist Republic of California", But I sure wanted to. I directed them to the "Warp9.9" for any assistance they may need along with a print out of his thoughts on the issue. Thanks Warp9.9. I still don't have much confidence in them, there all part of the me, me, me Generation that thinks they know everything. So it's Positive thoughts between now and the time they call me to piss me off.

Well I just read this entire thread and I'm as concerned as much as when I started. My engine # is considerably past the 228389-90 but reading that the problem returned in 07 would mean the factory didn't actually fix the problem? Is it a design flaw or assembly-manufacture issue. 06 R3 bought used last week with 11270 miles on it and I love this bike.

Steve over the early years Triumph made some changes trying to eliminate problems that occured. First IMO they got into a bad batch of crank gears which were not heatreated right and due to being soft they wallared out the keyway on them creating the coffee can rattle and to the worst extent lower gear breaking or enough slop to make the tensioner fail. Next Triumph changed the design and material of the cam chain guide tensioner side. which with the weak valve springs worked ok but was quite flexible with it flexing it could also aid in the tensioner giving out and releasing something that still can happen to this day and on 1050 motors also as they use the same tensioner. Triumph changed the guide back when the develped the update kit which was desinged to update certain components to the newer style. This kit was available for bike that hd to be opened up. Not that every bike needed it just for when and if they did . Plenty of early model bike are running just fine on the older designed parts even the second gear cluster. It realy boils down to how you ride and shift. IMHO the only real thing wrong or what I would consider dangerous is the tensioner it should be modified to have a anti kick back device. This device is not for adjusting the guide but to insure it will not realease and fail. Anyone who uses it to adjust their chain tension will suffer a catastrophic failure when the guide breaks in half. But if it is used correctly it will give you miles of worry free riding. If you look at it positively Ian on the .com site has over 110,000 miles on his 06 classic and it is still running around to this day with minimal repairs over the years.

I'll keep fresh oil in her pay attention to her sounds and try to stay away from the redline, This is the quietest motor I have ever been on, seems like it would be easy to hear when something's not quite right.

I'll keep fresh oil in her pay attention to her sounds and try to stay away from the redline, This is the quietest motor I have ever been on, seems like it would be easy to hear when something's not quite right.

you will be fine most of the problems with the lower gear aka coffee can rattle were in the 04-05 models. The 06 had the tranny problems with the second gear cluster and shims some had it some did not. My 05 did not my 06 did. You should also know that there are plenty 06 models that have never had any issues.

Help

I have a 2010 Touring with slight modifications, D&D pipes, K&N filter and mapped. A tad bit more power and better gas mileage. Last year I noticed the "paint can" noise and like many others , took a long time for the dealer to finally get to hear it. I was in several times under warranty but he finally heard it just outside of the warranty. This was around 12,000 miles. Triumph did step up however and replace the guides/blades, chain, tensioner and of course all of the other parts necessary due to cracking the head and front cover. It was late in the season and I rode it home and stored it for the winter. Now riding season is here and with 17,000 miles on the bike it is happening all over again. I guess my questions are as follows. Will this ever be able to be fixed or will this be an ongoing problem? Is there something else they should have replaced? The mechanic said the sprockets all looked fine. As a matter of fact everything they took out looked fine. The blades were not the aluminum but the plastic. The replacement kit had the aluminum blades as older models. They could not see any difference in the other replacement parts. What don't they know and what do they know, Triumph that is, about this very common problem? Any help would be appreciated. I love everything else about this bike and would love to get this problem handled once and for all.

I believe the noise is the same as last time which is just the slack in the chain. The engine runs and sounds fine...other than the chain noise. Last time everything looked good according to the Triumph dealer. But I don't know if they checked the valves to see if they were bent?

Back