Loud sound while shifting gears 1,2,3

i imported the oil from Usa only , its motorcycle grade!!

Btw the sound has reduced a bit !

I keep observing through!!

I know this might a little off topic but awhile back I saw where a fellow member had Carpenter racing straight cut his gears. Also they added a billet 4th gear. The member said his trans shifted really smooth after Carpenter got done.

How does straight cut gears make a trans shift better?
Why didn't Triumph do it in the first place?
Why would Carpenter install a billet gear to take the place of the OEM 4th gear?

I know this might a little off topic but awhile back I saw where a fellow member had Carpenter racing straight cut his gears. Also they added a billet 4th gear. The member said his trans shifted really smooth after Carpenter got done.

How does straight cut gears make a trans shift better?
Why didn't Triumph do it in the first place?
Why would Carpenter install a billet gear to take the place of the OEM 4th gear?
By cutting the gears he means the seating area of the dogs. They can be machined so the hold in contact better with torque. As for the fourth gear well fourth and fifth mesh by dog on dog not dogs in a female drive gear, the newer billet one act more like the female in mesh with the male fifth gear dogs.
note circled in Yellow this is 4th and 5th

4th&5th mesh.jpg

see the dog on dog
now look at the new fourth gear

20150308_152829.jpg

Now do not go thinking you have junk gears not many have broken fourth and like all bikes things can be broken or say shift forks can be forced so hard they bend.

By cutting the gears he means the seating area of the dogs. They can be machined so the hold in contact better with torque. As for the fourth gear well fourth and fifth mesh by dog on dog not dogs in a female drive gear, the newer billet one act more like the female in mesh with the male fifth gear dogs.

4th&5th mesh.jpg

see the dog on dog

20150308_152829.jpg

Now do not go thinking you have junk gears not many have broken fourth and like all bikes things can be broken or say shift forks can be forced so hard they bend.
The streamliner engines make 500 HP and are running the stock gears

see the dog on dog

Just the man I hope would see this. Thanks warp for the info.

So this means that it will "hold" better in fifth? I was more or less thinking that the bike would be left in forth gear for performance use (kind of like using fifth as overdrive) so therefore it would be stronger made of billet.

Last edited:
there are some riders that have the balls to go max rpm in 4th but i am not one of them.:(

Back